Saturday, 31 May 2008

Family writing day......


Today I hosted a writing day for some adult writer friends and their children. The challenge was for me to create writing activities that would keep both adults and children engaged. In addition I also wanted to be able to join in myself and write.
*
There were five adults and five children. For the youngest children (aged 3 &4) I arranged some simple colouring and left them to play. The eldest three children were all six years old and impressed me with their standard of work. They created a fictional character using worksheets I designed and then made this character the hero of an adventure story. The end result was a handmade mini book with illustrations. We adults did exercises on the themes of obsessions, phobias and storytelling. Both adults and children got together to share their work; which for me was one of the most fun parts of the day.
*
In between writing the children did quizzes and plenty of running around the garden. The adults did lots of chatting about books and writing. Everyone did plenty of eating!! It was a fun albeit exhausting day for me. However, despite the commitment of playing host and leading the writing activities; I actually managed to write a piece that I feel could end up being the basis for my next book.
*
Whilst researching I found a couple of useful sites. A writing site with lots of tips and exercises that I did not get time to fully explore: http://fictionwriting.about.com . A site full of resources for children such as word searches, puzzles, colouring etc: www.abcteach.com . I also used a book called 'Get Writing' by Paul Johnson (ISBN 0-7136-7312-5) that has templates and instructions for making simple but effective books/booklets/cards.

2 comments:

  1. cool, that you are doing this. all the best on your writing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Kat

    You should be proud of Saturday, it was really great and fab to have a writing oasis, albeit surrounded by noisy camels!!! Wouldn't it be great to say that two acclaimed authors lived next door and continually encouraged and inspired one another to keep writing. I look forward to buying your current project for Connor to read in th future, especially when I can say..Kat wrote that!!!
    M
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...