Friday, 16 May 2008

Living The Creative Life

There is no doubt that I feel happier when a good proportion of my day is spent engaged in creative activity. Oriah Mountain Dreamer, http://www.oriahmountaindreamer.com/ suggests that we need to fully incorporate our creative work into our daily life . Check out her book 'What we ache for'. Similarly Natalie Goldberg, http://www.nataliegoldberg.com/ , believes that the most important thing to do if we want to be a writer is to write, write, write!!! This may seem obvious but how many of us avoid doing the creative work we passionately crave? In all her books, especially the classics 'Wild Mind' & 'Writing Down the Bones' she offers help to get past the excuses and inner sabotage that is common to creative minds.

On that note I am trying hard to 'be' a writer and write daily. I also try to include other creative activity such as my card making and music. For me it's hard getting past the inner critic that reminds me that grammar is definitely not my strong point. Or the little voice that tells me I should be spending more time with my children and points out that my house looks filthy. However, I do know that I love to create stories and that I am bursting with ideas. So I intend to keep on writing and recognise that creative expression is an essential part of my happiness. So far this commitment is proving worthwhile and I'm enjoying the satisfaction of seeing my children's story take shape.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Kat! Looks far more intellectual than mine!!!!! This is going to be good fun methinks. I think you are right about the excuses and self destructive arguments that anyone can put in the way to prevent yourself taking the time to sit and write. you threw me a lifeline (see my blog) today and the results for me have been great, so thank you for being such a good mate and keep going with your kids book, very exciting times!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...