Thursday, 19 June 2008

Snail pace editing....& TV book clubs



It seems that I am very slow at editing. Is this perhaps something I will improve at with practice? I dearly hope so. I had a bad day with my eye yesterday. Today I covered my virgin copy with red, blue and green. Using these permanent 'Sharpie' markers was intoxicating. Unfortunately this added high did nothing to improve my progress!

I passionately want to mould this story into a book I can be proud of. This leaves me feeling something akin to stage fright every time I sit down to work.

On a different topic: I just had a leaflet on Richard and Judy's Summer Reads enclosed with my Book People leaflet. They offer all eight books for £24.99 with free p&P (www.thebookpeople.co.uk). Wish I had the money :-( . I have to admit that the Richard and Judy Book club (www.richardandjudybookclub.co.uk) often includes some very good reads. TV book clubs like this, offer reading inspiration to the masses which seems to be a good thing. I especially enjoy the author interviews they include on their show. I am obsessed with learning about authors; their writing lives, writing tips and inspiration.

11 comments:

  1. I get stage fright all the time, I wish I could get rid of it!

    Love the smell of markers...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's scary when you start to edit. Just wait until you start to sub! Now that's the ultimate stage fright! Your 'baby' is being scrutinised by people in the biz... Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I missed last week's post...so a late CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the first draft. Well done.
    I have the stage fright too, but it seems the best way to deal with it is by facing the task at hand (says the procrastinator herself...)
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I've got a bit further with the editing. My pages look as if my four year old as been scribbling with my pens. However, I think I'm starting to make progress.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the editing. It's a scary prospect, isn't it? I'm just getting started with my red pen now.

    I love the book people too. Did you see the writing book by Maeve Binchy? I think I'll have to put that one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be frightened! Enjoy it! This is when you get to think about each word and sentence, cut them out, change them. Its fun! Get used to editing, I've found that everyone you meet wants you to change something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddie - The Maeve Binchy book went on my 'want' list too.

    Jon - thanks for visiting. It is creative editing. I just need to build my confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit I don't exactly look forward to editing (it's called polishing in my world and hubby was disappointed to realise it doesn't involve Mr Sheen) but I do enjoy smoothing out the lumps and bumps. It's most certainly a worthwhile and necessary process for all writers - those who say otherwise should keep their smugness to themselves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm slow at the editing process too so can sympathize.

    I love R&J and am looking forward to the book reviews too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've fallen into your blog via Jon M and enjoyed it....particularly as a fan of both Cornwall AND writing!
    I shall return!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tam - your Mr Sheen comment made me laugh. Wish I could be a smug writer who didn't 'need' to edit!!

    Debs - I can see we will be discussing the R & J reads soon.

    Jan - Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a lovely comment. I'm off to visit you next :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...