Friday, 18 July 2008

931 words.....and still the fear

I managed to write 931 words today - hoorah! After the setback with my thumb/hand I am pleased to be writing again.
.
I was busy carving up my wayward first chapter when Michelle stepped in and offered me some sound advice. This resulted in me writing a new first chapter with the idea of using the original as chapter 2.
.
Confused? Can't blame you. I confuse myself!
.
So I should be happy. You'd think! But,
I'm worried...
Scared...
Terrified...
.
Of what?
Well - let me ask you - how do you know if you're any good at writing stories? I've loved reading and creating stories my whole life. I've finally decided to take it seriously. Every day I continue to write, pouring my heart and soul into this labour of love. I ache to be a published author with my book on a bookshop shelf. Yet, I don't know if I'm any good. What if I'm kidding myself?
But...then I ask myself the question: would you write even if you knew you'd never get published? And the answer would be 'yes'. Strangely enough. Even when I've been unable to write for just a few days, I miss it. I feel like a piece of me is mourning and I become grouchy.
.
This writing lark sure is strange - don't you think?
.
On a lighter note.....I've just finished reading yet another book 'The Joshua Files: Invisible City' by MG Harris. A very good read. The scholastic website blurb summarises the book like this:
.
" An ancient civilization is awakening. An ancient Maya prophecy is unfolding. One boy - Joshua - holds the key. When his archaeologist father goes missing in Mexico, Josh suspects alien abduction. But when he realises his dad was murdered, Josh is caught in a race to find the legendary 'Ix Codex' - a lost Mayan prophecy which predicts the end of the world."
.
In fact the book is better than the blurb - which is always great news and often not the case! On http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/ they have placed the book in the recommended areas for the 9+ and 11+ age group. But I'm 31+ so yet again age banding is inaccurate :-) Oh and the paperback book comes inside a unique bright orange plastic sleeve which not only looks great, stands out on the shelf (great marketing) but also protects the book!
.
M G Harris has an interesting blog of her own at www.mgharris.net which is worth a visit.
.
At the moment I'm obsessed with children and young adult fiction - the sense of adventure and fast pace is addictive. I soooooooo want to be as good as some of the writer's I'm reading!
.
Off to read more kiddie fiction..........................

10 comments:

  1. Kiddie fiction kicks ass! I am truely blessed to be able to read so much with a professional obligation. And to be honest, I am rarely disappointed.
    And I know what you mean about writing for you and bollocks to the publishing world. Its catharatic, it needs to be done.
    Its that or too much coffee and broken pencils...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The excellent thing about writing is that the more you do, the better you get and the better you get, the more confident you become. Give yourself credit, Kat. Loads of people say they would like to write and don't actually do it...

    Hey, maybe you'd like to have a look at my young adult story when it's done??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nik, you have a professional obligation - I just have the mind of a child I think!!

    Definitely love to look at your young adult story Tam - let me know when you're ready to show me.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Kat
    Completely know the feeling...am I any good, am I kidding myself? Trust me...I've read your chapter 1(now 2) and you are good!! A bit of self belief young lady!!! (I can say that as I am five years older than you). I struggle as I do not make time as you do at the moment and often think I am kidding myself that I will ever do it, but even I know if you love what you do, keep doing it, because the majority of writers who are published have passion for their craft, and that is what motivates them...and you have that.
    Hugs
    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katina, thanks very much for the lovely review and for the comment on my blog. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the book.

    931 words is very respectable, esp on a Sunday, even more with a poorly thumb.

    Mind of a child helps a lot for writing stories for children, I think. When I think of what would be cool in a story I still think...hmmm spies, smugglers, pirates, detectives, jungles, pyramids, secret tunnels...

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wonder if I'm kidding myself and then decided that whether I ever get published or not, I still love to write and create characters and stories and so what's the harm.

    I think it's a wonderful addiction to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it hurts to get a critique of your writing now and then, just to reassure yourself that you really CAN write! Feedback is important and can be really motivating but, like you, and I suspect most of us on here, I'd still write even if I never got published.

    Tam's right though...the more you do the better you get. When I look back at some of my early efforts I can see how far I've come, thank goodness :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love kiddie fiction as well. I am obsessed with Harry Potter... I even buy things for "Roo's room". But he can't touch them cuz they are really mine. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on the 900+ words, that's excellent.

    I know that fear! As Karen says, might be worth getting a professional critique at some point to help you in your journey, that's what I'm doing with my novel. Like you though, I don't think I could stop writing now even if I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle - thank you for the kind comments. It's true that I certainly have the passion for it.

    MG - thank you for visiting. Your ideas of what are cool in a story are very much like mine. I guess that's why I'm drawn to writing fantasy and for children.

    Debs - it is a wonderful addiction to have!

    Karen - I think you are right about getting some professional critique - is something I need to seriously consider.

    Elizabeth - Harry Potter - I was there queuing at midnight for the last one!!! Sad aren't I?

    Maddie - I will have to get some professional criticism like Karen suggested. And I think many of us would write even if we never got published. Writing seems to get under your skin from an early age.

    Thanks all.
    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...