Monday, 7 July 2008

The Flubbafish family & lack of patience........


'3' things......

FIRSTLY - enough laughing, I know I can't draw. But I thought I'd share my rather 'special' example that I made for the Junior creative writing club at school.

Today, Michelle and I asked them to create characters for an alien family recently arrived on Earth. They decided that the family would be called the 'Flubbafish' family. Mum, Dad, sister, brother and pet Floop (hybrid hamster/seal/....) were created. Their artwork was far superior to mine (not that that's difficult, but it was very good). We had lots of fun drawing, colouring, sticking on post-it notes and creating personalities. Next week we'll create their home planet and write a Flubbafish family diary detailing their first experiences of our world.

Today's session was great fun and I'm looking forward to next week. This colourful way of creating characters is just as useful for us adults (especially if you're like me and have never grown out of colouring and sticking.)

Go on - give it a go!

SECONDLY - I FINISHED my first edit on Friday. Feels good.

THIRDLY - I've only just realised that writing requires a lot of patience.

OH poop! This is not a personality trait I possess!

I wish I'd realised this at seven years old when I set my heart on making writing my career! Or at least considered the 'need for patience' when a year ago I decided to treat my writing as a job and not just a hobby! All this editing, more editing and then waiting to hear back from subs (and I haven't even got to this stage yet)............I feel myself getting tense.........what if I don't live long enough?...... Aghhhh!!!!

I get impatient : at the lack of hours in the day; with not being able to write more; at not getting time for research; that my writing is not improving, my knowledge not growing fast enough and with needing greater energy to write out all the stories in my head. I could go on.... but 'not' has appeared too many times in this paragraph for my liking.

But I do love writing. So......................I guess this a 'life lesson'. I must overcome my impatient nature (and lack of grammatical skill) and be a writer despite my personality faults.

I want to be a published author - Now, now, NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!!!!!!! (stamping my feet, clenching my fists, gnashing my teeth, red in the face...........................and reaching for the Yellow Pages to look for 'Patience Therapists'......P....Pa......)

11 comments:

  1. Ah patience, that elusive virtue. I tell people I have a lot of patience but I'm talking about the card game and it's hardly my fault if they don't understand me, eh?

    Great pic - looks like you had fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the family FlubbaFish will be here to stay for some time. We had a conversation about my lack of patience and I have just left Debs blog where part of her notes detail a speaker at the conference suggesting writers leave their novel for a year before looking at it again for submission (!!) can you imagine you or me doing that?
    Patience is a virtue they say, however I think it is a gift given to those who live with writers in training so they do not go completely insane!!
    Patience therapy courses probably provided by our respective husbands!!
    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You draw a lot better than I do!

    Your post hit the nail in the head about editing! I nearly went MAD when I started editing my novel - because, like you, I'm incredibly impatient. Editing is so painstaking and precise, and it just didn't come naturally to me at all. A few times I really felt like giving up because it seemed like I had so much to learn and I didn't feel like I was improving. It took a while, but eventually I found a groove and I now actually enjoy it - I never thought I would! Good luck, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not known in these parts for my patience! But I am learning. I really am (or rather I am still stamping my feet, just not telling people when I do it).

    Everything happens sooooo slowly and patience is a ridiculous thing to be required. But ...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure school never used to be that fun when I was there (back in the Dark Ages).

    I can completely empathise with your post. I think impatience has to be my worst vice. I wish I'd taken my writing more seriously years ago too. Hindsight is a great thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of the Flubbafish family - great name!

    I'm SOOOOO with you on the impatience/worrying I'm going to die before I ever get published scenario. I break out in a cold sweat if I think about it too much, so I guess I'd better just get on with it instead :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all of you. Your empathy has eased my panic. Today I'd achieved a fair bit editing. But I still felt anxious that progress was slow. But since reading all your comments I feel much better.

    Thanks for sharing the journey with me!
    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Editing smells of wee and pooh. We all know it. But it needs to be done I suppose.
    Patience also smells. I spend my time pacing and making capes/hats/masks/false 'tash disguises for Disco Kettle. And not marking. Always not marking.
    I'm afraid this seems to be an evil industry.
    I finished my novel and spent a year and half getting reections and sinking into bottles of rum.
    But it's worth the wait.
    I smile lots these days.
    People hate me for it.
    It's great.
    Stick with it x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nik.
    Disco kettle is very lucky to have such and extensive wardrobe Kat;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Flubbafish! Patience is the one thing you must must must have cos the publishing world moves like a snail with sleeping sickness. Impatience is your enemy...I know cos I'm impatient too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patience? Not sure where I put that ....
    I have tagged you on my blog if you feel like answering some questions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...