Friday, 25 July 2008

Inkheart....bringing characters to life


I've just finished reading 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke. (Still having problems with my thumb/hand so using my time to read more)
.
Inheart centres around characters who are able to bring written fiction to life when reading aloud. There are a couple of problems with this skill. One: when a fictional character appears in our world, something or someone from our world must disappear to replace it. Another drawback of this talent is that it can be dangerously unpredictable and lets face it there are certain fictional beings that are best kept between the pages of a book. This book cleverly plays on people's love of books, the magic of story, escapism and the joy of being read to. It explores the relationships between reader, author and characters. This is (again) a children's book but if like me you are a nutter for books and story then I suggest you give this book a try. There are plans for Inkheart to be made into a film by the same people who made the Lord of the Rings films.
.
So I ask you to consider the following questions:
.
1) a) Which of your creations/characters would you most like to see come to life?
b) And what would you say to them?
.
2) a) Which character/creation would you least like to see in this world, and why?
b) How would you react to seeing them/it in the flesh?
.
If you want to read any more about Inkheart then click here for the review on the Chicken House website or/and visit www.corneliafunkefans.com .

6 comments:

  1. Oh. I had an idea for a story like this. It's in the notebook for processing sometime. Bugger.
    Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea - thanks for the review. I'm always on the hunt for great children's books and have recently discovered Bayard and their series of StoryBoxBooks, AdventureBoxBooks and DiscoveryBoxBooks (which is a special Olympic edition) They have work by acclaimed children's books illustrator Helen Oxenbury appearing in the Storybox series for September. In addition to this, they also have some great activities for rainy days: http://www.storyboxbooks.com/potatoprinting.php, http://www.adventureboxbooks.com/macaroni-picture-frames.php, http://www.discoveryboxbooks.com/skittles.php Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tam - If you read the book you may find your approach makes for a very different story. After all, there are many variations of story ideas.

    Book - welcome and thanks for stopping by. Thank you for the great links - ideal for the summer holidays.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kat
    I found you via Tam's blog. I'm published in children's books but right now I'm concentrating on short stories for women's mags while waiting...waiting to hear on my novel for 9-11s.
    The love of writing - and reading -children's fiction never dies, though and I visit the lovereading4kids site a lot.

    Good luck with your book

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm... Who to bring to life eh? Oh, the power...

    Let's see:

    1a - I wrote a short story once about a girl who purposely represses her memory and becomes so good at it she wakes up with a blank slate each morning.

    b - And I'd tell her a joke. The same one every day, and she'd laugh and laugh. Every day. And I'd be the funniest bloke in the world.

    2a - I think perhaps my nameless narrator from 9987 (out Jan! Yay!)

    b - I think I'd run. Cos he's nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat - thanks for visiting, I shall be popping over your place shortly.

    Nik - you ARE funny even without the need of daily blank states LOL Can't wait to read your book and learn more about your nameless nutty narrator!!

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...