Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Celebration - First Draft Complete


Yesterday I completed the first draft of my YA novel. The word count total for this first draft was 74,030. By far the largest single piece of writing I've ever finished.
.
I'm especially happy with what I've achieved because of all the health set backs I've had recently. Last night I was buzzing & jittery - not sure what to do with myself and missing my characters already. I decided on wine, food & celebration!
.
I'm really pleased with this first draft and can't wait to start editing it. Any advice on how long I should leave it before starting the edits?
.
I've so much other work to catch up on but am already getting distracted by the sequel I have partially planned in my head.
.
But for today - a little rest. My 5 year old was awake half the night with nightmares. He bounced to school. I'm dead on my feet. Oh to have a child's energy....

12 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATONS, KAT! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. DElighted ! You must be feeling a lovely glowing sense of achievment. Great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, congratulations - I've just finished my first draft too :o))

    I'm going to try and leave mine for at least a fortnight to get a bit of perspective, although it's been a while since I've read some of the chapters anyway!

    Maybe you should go and have a little nap :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, what a great feeling! I'd leave it for 2 weeks - enjoy the time and read lots of different stuff and nourish the parts of your life that get pushed aside when you're in full writing mode.

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! Leave it about two weeks, I always do. Get some space between you and it.

    Ah yes the up all night five year old. Jamie decided to get up at 2am, didn't go back to sleep. He went to school bright as a button. Whatever they're on I want some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - thanks :-)

    Jan - I have been glowing it's true. LOL

    Karen - Congrats to you to, I loved the animation you did on reaching the 80,000. There seems a few bloggers finishing first drafts this week. Thanks for the two weeks advice.

    Emily - yes it's nice to have a bit of time to catch up with other stuff. Today I had a lovely afternoon out with a friend who I only see twice a year. Thanks for the 2 weeks advice.

    Claire - two weeks seems to be a popular suggestion. Thanks. I think I'll go with that. And yes - if we could only bottle youthful energy!

    Thanks you all. I'm taking the popular advice to leave the 1st draft alone for two weeks before starting edits.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Kat.
    It's a truly wonderful feeling, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS!!!
    I would let it sit for at least a few weeks. Then you can read it with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat - it is a great feeling. A week after finishing and I'm practically sitting on my hands to stop from starting the editing.

    Jennifer - Hi & welcome - thank you for the advice.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done honey
    Knew you could do it. Now keep your paws off it for a few more days and then you can begin with the multi coloured pens!!!
    So pleased for you mate
    M
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks JJ & Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...