Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Creative Every Day 2010 Challenge


I recently discovered the 'Creative Every Day Challenge 2010' created & run by the very talented Leah Piken Kolidas who set this initiative up to (in her words) "help infuse my life and lives of others with daily creativity."
.
Having just renewed my own commitment to include creative practice into my daily life; the discovery of such a challenge/group seemed like fate.
.
Presently I feel the need to focus on daily creativity as a form of healing, meditation, inspiration and balance. After this recent MS relapse prevented me from being able to express myself creatively I was reminded just how vital living a creative life is for my well being. Now I am recovering well I feel even more motivated to pursue my writing and creative life.
.
Fiction writing has always been my number one passion. But apart from this I love to craft cards & jewellery or paint, knit, take photos, write poetry and play music. My plan is to try to build on a daily creative practice that could include any of these activities or/and new forms of expression.
.
As part of my self imposed exercise plan I've also started to play scales on the piano in order to improve my coordination and concentration. Hard and near impossible at first, within a few weeks I am improving. Once my eyes are up to reading music I shall try playing more than just scales which will no doubt please my long suffering family who are sick of scales accompanied by
shouts and bangs of frustration when I go wrong.
.
And this weekend a real improvement was made with my eyes/brain/concentration when I created my first ever mixed media collage on boxed canvas (above). Its not a great photo but basically I have included various papers, plastics, found objects, acrylic paints, cut out words & metallic embossing. I made a fair few beginners mistakes but overall I am happy with the result not least because it marks an improvement health wise.
.
The Creative Every Day Challenge has monthly optional themes. In February it was 'Home'. I'm a couple of days late but as I live in Cornwall where the coast plays a focal part in all aspects of life; this collage seems appropriate.
.
Check out the CED2010 challenge & Leah's own fantastic creations at http://www.creativeeveryday.com/. I dare you not to be inspired!

.........................................

7 comments:

  1. so glad you joined in, kat! beautiful piece!

    p.s. funny synchronicity, the word verification for this comment is "sands." perfect for your ocean image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat! Delighted that you're finding creative space for yourself - love the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece and as I live on an island off the west coast of Canada I can appreciate how the sea is home. Terrill Welch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collage Kat and the site is FAB - think I might just join you on it too.
    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah - Thanks - so glad I joined. I love it when the word verification holds some relevance or amusement.

    Kate - Thank you :-)

    Terrill - Thanks. the sea seems to call you home. It has a special magic. An island off the Canadian coast sounds wonderful. Are the photos on your blog of where you live?

    Julie - Glad you like. Unfortunately the photo doesn't really show the different materials. It was fun trying this for the first time. Have learnt a few lessons.

    Michelle - thank you honey. You should definitely give CED a try!

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great way to get inspired and I love the collage :o) I fiddle about on the guitar when I want to improve my concentration levels and it really helps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...