Monday, 22 March 2010

Memories that frame our stories....


Recently I've been riding a roller coaster of emotions. My Gran (my Dad's mum) died ten days ago. I've spent huge amounts of time lost in memories, considering her story & how it intermingled with others. On Mother's Day I was by the sea (photo above taken then) and remembered how she spent over half her life living by the coast but died landlocked in London. I on the other hand spent my childhood landlocked in the East Midlands always craving to live nearer the coast, as I do now. Smells, phrases, people and all manner of irrelevant details have sparked memories that play a part in our interwoven life stories.

I've been trying to cope with grief & some troublesome health issues by trying to keep involved in creative activity as per my plan. I've written poems, anecdotes & journaled my heart out. I've also continued to create pages in my new art journal. Below is one such page:


Tomorrow is my Gran's funeral & I'm sad that I'm not well enough to travel the more than 300 miles to be there. I agonised over this frustrating situation. But now I plan to spend the day in quiet contemplation & creativity dedicated to my Gran. I'm going to go through old photos & create scrapbook pages. I shall write in my journal & work on some of the memory poetry I've started.

Stories are interwoven into every part of our lives. Creative activities can help us face and express our emotions. The more I make creativity my healing practice the more I realise its importance to my well being.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your gran. I think your quiet, creative contemplation is a wonderful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you cannot go honey. think your plan for tomorrow will be a fitting tribute to her memory and all that she was to you. Bless you my love
    M
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your lost. A quiet day to remember the loved one is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your Gran and that you're not well enough to travel. But your plan for the day is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katina, I hope your day of contemplating the happy memories of your gran has been one of deep connection for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so sorry to hear about your gran. wishing you lots of love and light ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. The day of contemplation sounds like a wonderful way to honor your Gran. Your art journal work is perfect for expressing feelings. Love your journaling adventures and seaside photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost my grandmother recently (in November) as well and it's hard to say good-bye. Although making art didn't heal the hurt, it did help me feel a little better while I was grieving her loss. Sending hugs and love your way as you heal! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. JJ, Michelle, Hybrid J, Cathy, Kate, Ingrid, Mary, Leah..........
    THANK YOU ALL XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear about your loss. My grandmother has been gone two years now. She was also an integral and inspirational part of my life. I believe that our love ones live on through us. Journaling is a very cathartic process and a great way to remember those special stories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...