Tuesday, 30 March 2010

My way of living creatively....


"Art is not a thing; it is a way." Elbert Hubbard
*
I started this week with renewed determination to follow my self-designed daily creative practice. Flicking through my copy of "The Zen of Creative Painting" by Jeanne Carbonetti I found the above quote and it seemed a perfect affirmation of my aims. I felt it possible to also substitute the word 'art' with 'writing' (Writing is not a thing; it is a way.) and 'creativity' (Creativity is not a thing: it is a way) and I could go on with the words such as music etc..... I think the word 'art' is meant to encompass more than just visual arts and this quote may offer different meanings to each individual.
*
Whilst recovering for the optic neuritis I've started to lose confidence in myself as a writer. It's difficult to remain confident when not able to see to work on my novel. But for a good part of this time I've been able to scribble down notes, poems & short pieces. I've kept being a writer, but not producing at the rate or quality I'd have liked. This quote has served as a reminder that, for me, being a writer is not just about being published but is "a way" of life. Ultimately I'd like to see my novels published but this isn't my sole reason for writing. Similarly I may never be a professional musician, craftswoman or artist but I will still express myself creatively because creativity is a way of life that I'm realising is essential to my well being.
*
My daily creative practice continues to grow & adapt as I learn to listen to my intuition. It serves to help with physical things like coordination & concentration. It also helps keep me happy, fulfilled and practiced in my chosen crafts. I just have to show up & try even when I don't feel like I can.
*
***************************

6 comments:

  1. Very well said, I think the act of expression is much more important than the result.

    Course, recognition for the result is always nice, but we just have to keep trying.

    Glad you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similarly I may never be a professional musician, craftswoman or artist but I will still express myself creatively because creativity is a way of life that I'm realising is essential to my well being.

    Yes! Yes!! YES!!! I hear you my sister, and I give you huge, big hugs of creativity and LOVE!!

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said and couldn't agree with you more. I started out as a writer but since last year, after finishing NANO, I found I couldn't write anymore (at least for now). I turned to drawing as a creative outlet. This helps me to realize it is not about writing or drawing. It is about the "way" to live my life and the "way" to express myself.

    We're all creative beings and I'm glad to have made connection with you! :)

    Thank you for sharing such an insightful post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nik - great to hear from you. You are right, I'd also like people to read & enjoy my writing.

    Connie - thank you - sending big hugs back to you!

    Hybrid J - thank you - I am very glad to have made a connection with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening is or may be as important as seeing in your recovery process.

    I hope you get better soon. Your lovely painting at the top shows you are on the road to recovery.

    I found you on CED and hope to return soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...