Thursday, 25 November 2010

Art Everyday Month 2010: Day 25 - Snowy Writing Exercise...


Puzzles*Pocket*Scarf*Legs*Suppose*Out


We had a covering of snow this morning; early and unusual for Cornwall. This photo wasn’t taken today but in a previous dusting of snow. It is part of the view at the back of my house. In honour of the early snow I thought I’d do another of my photo and word timed writing exercises. The six words were chosen at random from a book selected by my daughter – “Skulduggery Pleasant” by Derek Landy. I had fifteen minutes. The following are my unedited results:

He watched her from where he crouched high up the slope, partially sheltered by the skeleton branches laden with snow and a few helpful evergreens whose eternal foliage aided his secrecy. His legs ached in this position but he didn’t fancy sitting on wet snow; he was cold enough already.
           Rearranging his scarf to avoid the bitter air that had begun to bite his neck he wondered if he would ever be able to speak to her again. Just to see her had taken much of his strength. Suppose she bridged the gap though? She had always liked solving puzzles. If he could just leave her a clue he felt sure she would be intrigued enough to try. Sometimes she’d stop what she was doing and look his way. Two days ago she’d been washing the dishes and suddenly looked up. She’d stared through the window and straight at him.          
           The light went out in the kitchen. He sighed; he would miss her face overnight. Now was the time for him to rest and try again tomorrow. He’d reach her. He had to make contact. He had to warn her: time was running out.

I feel like I want to write more and was a bit sad when my time ran out. So perhaps there is more to write for these characters just freshly formed today.
Please feel free to try this exercise using the photo and words. If you do, please let me know how you get on. If you don’t fancy a writing exercise then you could try using as a prompt for any creative expression you choose.

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

9 comments:

  1. totally intriguing piece Kat, you should definitely see where it takes you.
    I LOVE snow, jumping in it, writing it - where's ours?
    megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coool! Very intriguing! (BTW Did you forget the word pocket?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - thanks. I've been thinking about these characters since yesterday and they are starting to form in my head. So who knows - maybe there is more to come. Snow is great. If it's any consolation our snow has melted and it just looks wet now :-(

    EVA - dash it - I had forgotten it and I hadn't even realised until you said. Sshh - don't tell anyone ;-) Hopefully they won't notice ;-)

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you ever need an editor.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so good, I think you should definitely see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun exercise to do and I really like your writing, do more!

    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment over at mine a couple of posts ago, nice to *meet you* :)

    No snow here yet!

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. EVA - stop rubbing it in. Lol. :-)

    Debs - thanks - the characters have got under my skin a little. Its great when in just fifteen new characters appear.

    Amelia - thanks for stopping by. The snow has gone here except for the odd light shower. But it is mighty cold tonight and apparently blizzards forecast for next week!

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful piece! Wow, I had not realized you lived so close to me. It's been snowing here too, and it's still snowing. It's a mission to get anywhere. I'm really enjoying your blog, and so happy you stopped by on mine. Calls for new friends. Much love - Ana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ana - it is great making new connections.
    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...