Monday, 29 November 2010

Art Everyday Month 2010: Day 29 - Finished Mandala in black, white & red



As you can see: I've finished the mandala doodle that I began yesterday. This is the first time I've used colour in my mandala doodles. I think the use of the cherry (Marvy Le Plume II - no.65 brush pen) creates the illusion of the white parts having been cut out and placed on a red background. Admittedly this is an irregular wonky mandala but I found it relaxing and fun to create - which is the most important thing for me.

There is something therapeutic about mandalas and indeed they've been created for hundreds of years by spiritual groups and artists. One explanation of what a mandala is and can be, as well as some examples, can be found on Margi Gibb's website here. But I'd highly recommend you visit Tammy at Daisy Yellow - her mandalas are beautiful!

I've always liked mandala art work but never tried to create one myself until aedm2010. What creative work/technique/medium have you tried for the first time during aedm2010?

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Very cool use of color in your mandala. It makes me think of the queen of hearts and its wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this is wonderfully striking. really cool designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely, looks great with color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful, Kat. The cherry red is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for irregular and wonky! Life is so dull when things aren't allowed to be... exactly as they are....

    Much love!

    See my AEDM check in here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooooh, the colours remind me a little of a deck of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very pretty!

    I guess this was first time I tried collage (Day 16) and some paint-like markers (Day 6)in my CED2010 books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great mandala! i love the red with the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Therapeutic indeed. All I can say is WHOA! LOVE this. I appreciate you soooo.... Thank you for your wonderful comments yesterday. Cheers to you and here's to another year of creative explosion...

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I want to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such thoughtful comments. I appreciate it, even if I've been a bit too busy to reply for several days.

    Seciond, that mandala is awesome. I read down a bit and saw you had been working on it, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but once the color was in, it just popped. Your colors are as gorgeous as the design. I promise to keep in touch, because I really like your art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really DO know how to spell second (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea, Jehanne, Christine, Julie, sweet limes, EVA, Leah, Shannon, Bleubeard & Elizabeth -

    Thank you all you lovely people for such supportive comments - they mean a lot. It is great being part of such a friendly inspirational community. I shall be visiting you all soon to enjoy the treat of seeing your latest creations!
    Kat X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...