Sunday, 19 December 2010

Inspiration Avenue: "Believe"



Here is my submission for the Inspiration Avenue weekly challenge on the theme " Believe". I spent time on a mandala that started with snowflakes in mind but ended up a snowflake star mix. I also found myself journaling and writing around the theme. Realising that the mandala looked quite festive and choosing some of the words I'd written I combined the two to make a hanging decoration. The white card is only a background to beable to take the photo successfully but I have the actual decoration now hanging from the centre of my kitchen dresser.
Here is a close up of the mandala:


I began in pencil and ink. Then section by small section I added glitter, pearlescent and metallic embossing powders. It was time consuming because before heating embossing powders can easily bleed, be brushed away etc. but I was happy with the result. Unfortunately I was unable to show the multi tone and sparkle effects on a photo but you get the idea.
Here is a close-up of the words:


These were a selection of lines I wrote which I then printed onto glossy paper, mounted on silver and embellished with some die cut stars.

The theme "believe" sparked many ideas for me. It is great when something captures the imagination. The time of year certainly seemed to influence this piece. Similarly I've been writing fiction ideas and poetry with winter and holiday themes. This time of year can stir a variety of positive and negative feelings and evoke a multitude of memories.
  • How is your creative work influenced by winter, Christmas and the holiday season?
I hope all of you are enjoying the festive season. For those of you who celebrate it: I wish you a very Happy Christmas. For everyone I send happy wishes for the winter holiday season.

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

17 comments:

  1. Super beautiful post..gorgeous star...inspiring words..magical and powerful..yay! Shine on!!
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your snowflake star mandala - the colors and the sparkle look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous. I need to try this Inspiration Avenue, too. So glad I found this post today!

    Today's CED2010 Check in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mandala! The star and snowflake combination is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at IA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning Kat! xx
    (i just can't seem to stop writing about snow)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiki/Victoria, cat, Julie, Charlie and Megan - THANK YOU all for your lovely comments & for taking time to visit.

    And Megan - glad its not just me obsessed by the snow. Lol. :-)

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally belive in the power of 'believe' ;)

    Wishing you a merry and fun christmas and a peaceful new year.

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Amelia. Wishing you the happiest Christmas and New Year too.
    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful, I can't stop looking at it. I'm visiting from CED. terah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terah - thank you. Its hard to capture in a photo but the different mediums catch the light at different angles. Thanks for visiting. CED is great for connecting with new people!

    Yvonne - thank you :-)

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mandala is beautiful, I especially like the idea of making it into an ornament.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! and I love the affirmations :)
    Happy New Year, xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your artpiece! The mandala is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...