Saturday, 12 February 2011

"FURRY" (Inspiration Avenue Challenge) & exciting news!!!!


The Inspiration Avenue challenge this week was to create art using the prompt 'furry'. I kept thinking of teddy bears, fake fur and fluffy wool fibres. But then today 'Miss Furfuffle' visited my imagination and challenged me to make an attempt at recreating her fur with paint. Miss Furfuffle is very proud of her fluffy coat and her favourite thing is visiting the hairdressers. It was quite an honour that she allowed me to paint her portrait. I'm not sure my attempt has done her careful grooming any favours and to be fair the photo of the painting doesn't really reveal depth because the metallic paint dazzles the camera lens. Or Miss Furffle would argue that it is her beauty that bedazzles the image. But maybe Miss Furfuffle will allow me a second attempt another day. Perhaps she may be able to convince the other Furfuffle family members to allow me to capture their image in paint.

NOW for my exciting news. I have  recently begun to paint on canvas.  Yesterday I finished my largest painting so far (12 x 12 inches on chunky canvas) and sold it the same day! I have sold cards & small craft items but never a painting! This was my first painting sold. Which, gave my confidence a much needed boost. The past few weeks I've tried to create on canvas but was very nervous and unsure of what other people's reactions would be. This has really helped me to have a little faith. I was unable to get a very good photo before delivery but here it is:
click on image to enlarge
  And a side view that gives an idea of depth/texture:

Engaging in creative activity makes me happy. I think it helps keep me healthy. I try to create what I feel and what my imagination suggests. It felt wonderful to sell a painting and share it with someone else. But I would create stories, art, music and photos even if they were never to be sold. Of course we all need to eat and art supplies, books and pens don't grow on trees (more's the pity). So it is a dream to make a living from being creative. But the greater buzz comes from someone caring about a character I write or gaining pleasure from something I create. It is also wonderful to be part of this creative community of bloggers and experience what all your imaginations conjure into existence.
  • Why do you create?
  • Do you or would you like to make a living from being creative? And if so, would you continue to create regardless?
Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

22 comments:

  1. Miss Furfuffle is so imaginative! So fluffy and cute!

    Congratulations on selling your painting! It's rather mesmerizing; I love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good for you doing well selling your paintings....the swirl is one of my favorite images. I even have a swirl tat.
    Miss Furfuffle is pretty cute too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! Congratulations on your sale Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Congratulations on the sale - the side shot really does show the depth/raised angle of the piece. And I like the way the colors both blend and remain distinct somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magpie, Gemma, Megan & Stretching my Imagination - Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely painting, such vivid colours, congratulations on selling it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Miss Furfuffle' is cute, I love the colors you used. Cool textures in your painting.
    Have a happy Sunday, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok - Miss Furfuffle is awesome - what a riot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Miss Furfuffle, so cute and fluffy! Your painting is stunning, gorgeous, amazing - just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again... I think what I like best in your painting is your choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so so exciting! I am so happy for you!! Your painting is lovely and Miss Furfuffle is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Miss Farfuffle, I quite enjoy you, very cute! How fun for you starting painting on canvas and you sold one already, way to go! If I didn't create my head would explode from all the ideas being held inside, so it's really for my own safety and boy would I love to make a living from being creative, maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Miss Furfuffle is adorable. She put a big smile on my face and really exhibited a good way to paint fur. You are very creative. Congrats, too, on your sale. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the sale of your painting! How fantastic. What a wonderful boost of confidence that is. And now you have more supply money. Gotta love that art is therapy in so many ways. Retail therapy, here she comes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miss Furfuffle is cute. Now that's how I wish "dust bunnies" looked. ;-) I love the spiral. Love the texture in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to your folk tale......!

    love,
    The Mimi Faeries

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that spiral painting Kat, and well done for selling it xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Miss Furfuffle....very cute and imaginative! Awesome painting as well & congrats on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Miss Furfuffle is divine! I want to play with her and pet her. Can she hop right off the page?

    ;-)

    And congratulations on selling, super cool and great news, xXx :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Its been a few days of fluey bugs & a poorly kid (much better today) It's so lovely to return to such kind comments :-)

    Crafty Green Poet, Theresa, DT Haase, Carola & Anne - thank you so much X

    Missy - thank you & I so understand the comment: "If I didn't create my head would explode from all the ideas being held inside." And the "so it's really for my own safety" gave me a much needed giggle :-)

    Bluebeard & Elizabeth - thank you & glad Miss Furfuffle made you smile :-)

    Tammy - thanks & love the retail-art therapy link you made:-)

    Michelle - thank you :-) I like the idea of dust bunnies.

    Mimi & the Mimi faeries - yes me & my daughter have already started imagining stories to go with Miss Furfuffle. Maybe the Furfuffles & the Mimi faeries have crossed paths at some time in story land:-)

    Sam, Lisa & craftydvl - thank you :-)

    Oh and craftydvl - I am sure she can hop right off the page/computer screen and into your imagination. Thanks for liking her :-)

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kat! thanks for stopping my by blog and welcoming me to the Creative Everyday Challenge! your painting is awesome! hope you sell it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you've created! And congrats on your wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...