Tuesday, 26 April 2011

TIC TOCC week 3 results: doodles and fiction writing...




Welcome to week three's TIC TOCC post.  
For this week's TIC TOCC I set the clock for 20 minutes doodling (above) and then twenty minutes writing. Here are my unedited writing results:

"Busy thinking about the logistics of collecting Hannah from gymnastics, George from football and getting back in time for her conference call Leni didn't notice the package balancing on the washing line until she'd unpegged the red dress that partially hid it. Leni frowned at the small parcel of crumpled brown paper; it hadn't been there when she'd pegged the washing out that morning. Jim was working away and the kids had been out all day so where had the package come from? She looked around the garden for signs of life and then realised the foolishness of her search; their property resided in five private acres of woodland. It wasn't the sort of place people passed by; only accessible by a single partially gravelled dirt track. Butterflies of anxiety fluttered as it dawned on her that there could be an intruder. As a professional business woman with a cool manner Leni was not prone to flights of fancy but the situation was strange. She decided to open the package dismissing that it proved any danger by its crumpled packaging and small dimensions. Inside a painted ceramic disc approximately 7cm in diameter caused her to gasp and once again glance around her immediate surroundings. Was this a sick joke? This had been her group's secret society's emblem when they had been between eight and twelve years old. They'd carefully hand painted four ceramic circles, one for each member, and sworn allegiance to their club. An abandoned shed on the nearby Hanbury estate land had served as their meeting place. Their activities revolved around fantastical adventures played across the private land too large for the Lord and Lady to fully use. Their group had abandoned when Leni's twin, Tom, had disappeared. The police and neighborhood had frantically searched for twelve year old Tom. Three years after, resigned to the possibility of his death, the three remaining club members had placed their discs into a metal box weighted with a brick. They used the group's model boat to launch the box out into the river, setting it alight and watching it sink in a ceremony reminiscent of the ancient warriors they'd once played at being. Leni now aged 38 stared at the ceramic symbol in her trembling hand and felt her knees give way as she opened the letter that began 'Dear Sis...' "

Once again the writing took me in an unexpected direction.

  • How did you get on with this week's TIC TOCC? 
It would be great to hear your feedback and experiences. Please leave your comments and/or links to results in the comments section of this post. You can also contact me via Twitter, facebook or email links for which can be found at the bottom of this week's Wright Story Extra issue & on the blog tabs above.


In issue 2 of Wright Story Extra I discussed tips for when creatively stuck. In this week's issue I discuss ideas for finding time to create.
  •  Do you have any tips for finding/managing your creative time?
I've set up a Wright Story Extra page where you can sign up to receive weekly TIC TOCC prompts and a monthly bonus interview. On that page you'll also find links to previous issues.

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

18 comments:

  1. HI Kat...I always love reading your posts and ooh i love that image..your work is always stimulating..energizing and activating for me...fabulous..very sparking!
    Love your question..for me it is more like..my creative time(and getting that nourishment) is what actually sets everything else into motion and divine balance for me..when I get that creative time to connect.....then everything else seems to flow for i feel nourished and energized!
    HUgs and sparkles
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh, this is real good and kinda creepy! Me likey! I did a writing exercise also (I can't figure out how to make something linkable in the comments here, I tried the the html code, but can't maqe it work). This was an interesting challenge because I stay at home with my two boys, they don't grasp the concept of leave mommy alone, she's busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kat, I loved your story this week. I do hope you'll continue it! I want to know what's going to happen!

    I worked on another little bit of story today and blogged about it: http://mygiantstrawberry.blogspot.com/2011/04/tic-tocc.html

    My story really wanted to go its own direction, which was fine, but didn't give me the chance to explore much about the unexpected thing found in the yard. Even 20 minutes isn't a very long time to devote to a story. My goal is to eventually be able to create a fully self-contained story in one of these TIC TOCC exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was determined to join in this week. The idea popped in my head earlier when I was thinking about another challenge - on underwear! I sat down and wrote it in 10 minutes. I was strict!

    Great fun. Thanks for this.
    http://all-the-wright-stuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/dirty-laundry.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. **Victoria** - thank you sweetie, you're very kind :-)X I love your description of your experience of creative nourishment, balance, flow and connection. Wonderful and similar to many of my feelings on the magic of creative connection.

    **Missy** - thank you :-)It kinda spooked me even as I wrote it. Lol. Yes, the challenge of having children around is one I'm familiar with :-)) As regards linking if you just copy your url and paste it in your comment people can follow your link that way. I am looking forward to reading your results and am off to visit your blog next! Thanks for sharing. Xx

    **Anne** - thank you :-) Yes I know what you mean - I will have lots of story beginnings or fragments unfinished. Lol. But that's okay as long as I enjoy and I shall at least have inspiration to go back to if I wish. I'm not going to worry about any writing being a complete story but it would be fun to try and do a complete story in the twenty minutes - an added challenge. Meanwhile I there's a few threads I'd like to develop further out of the time limit. I'm looking forward to reading about your results and shall visit your blog shortly. Thanks for sharing again - its great to have your company :-) X

    **Lisa** Glad you enjoyed doing this week's TIC TOCC. Great to have your company. I'm excited to see your results. Thanks for sharing :-)X

    This is fab fun having friends playing along and sharing - thank you all :-))
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can soooo relate to what Victoria says. I just need to GET TO IT. it = create. and then everything around me falls into place... How beautiful and fascinating, right? It's so great to see how you guys feel the same, I just love this creative community!!!!
    thankyouallforbeingthere,
    Nele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nele - Thanks for visiting and leaving a lovely comment. I've just been enjoying a read of your blog - so wonderful to learn of your success. - Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool short story Kat. The Tic Tocc prompt was good this week as well. I painted my Muse in my sketchbook, as what was behind the wash. Loving the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweet limes - thank you :-) I'm glad you're enjoying.

    Rhonda - thanks :-) I love that you painted your muse - a clever take on the prompt. I've just been over to your post and left a comment there. Thanks for playing along again :-) X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know what happens next... you have a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evelyn - thank you for your super kind comment. KatX

    ReplyDelete
  12. your doodle is wonderful and lively.
    i think it is wonderful to write and let it out and flow where ever it wants to go, I am often surprised at what comes our.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammie - thank you :-) I agree, it is great fun to write and let the story go wherever you want. There's a lovely excitement when stretching the muscles and just going for it.
    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  14. A week late, and I'm rushing to go out now. Will pop back later to have a good look round what everyone else has done, but here's the link to my effort http://tinyurl.com/3jewrqy
    Ahem, I broke the rules, sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sam - Its fine for rules to be broken as long as you enjoy creating; that's all that matters. How exciting, I shall go & take a look next.

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your story Kat. Will you write more? I'd love to read the rest xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sam :-) Quite often the results of these exercises work their way into a larger piece; sometimes altered to fit in with a story already on the go but other times into something stand alone.

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...