Tuesday, 19 April 2011

TIC TOCC week 2 - Magical art and a bit of romantic fiction...


Welcome to week two's TIC TOCC post. This week I used the TIC TOCC prompt to do 20 minutes of art (results above) and then used the same prompt for writing. Here are my unedited writing results:

 ~ Amy picked her way across Mr Jacob's uneven field the small beam of torch light erratically dancing in front. Occasionally she stumbled in the poor light but her gymnastic background helped her step lightly and keep her balance. She stopped briefly looking over her shoulder to gauge how far she'd come. Her parent's farmhouse was now hidden behind a gentle slope; she was five fields from home and only one from the stone circle she'd missed whilst away at college. Amy worried whether Sam would remember to meet her. It had been exactly a year since he'd left for Afghanistan and a month since they'd arranged this meeting. He'd arrived back in the UK last week whilst she'd still been in Brighton. So much had changed since they'd last been together. Would they have grown apart she wondered? 
           Approaching the field that was home to the circle she noticed a purple pink haze in the distance. She stopped abruptly. It was them. Her heart beat faster; she hadn't seen them since she and Sam were ten since... (Ten minutes up - but I decided to continue for ten more)
        She heard the faint rustle of footfall to her left and saw a large dark shape vault over the gate that led from Sam's parents' fields. Sam? It had to be Sam. Had he seen the light and the familiar dancing silver magic? She felt sick with apprehension at seeing the only boy, now man, she'd ever loved and the chance of experiencing the blissful fairy magic the memory of which she'd carried with her for ten years.


           As Sam approached he glanced between the growing light show and the girl whose memory had kept him alive through the past year. In the dark he made out her familiar small frame and long wild hair. With memories he filled in the blue eyes and sprinkling of freckles. Sam slowed as he came within a few feet from her; his overwhelming emotions finally bringing him to a stop a foot in front of her. Now they were both only looking at each other; even the magic nearby unable to draw their attention away. He fought back the tears that threatened and struggled when he saw the glisten of a tear roll down her face. He was finally home. ~


Wow - I had a job to stop writing at the twenty minutes - as it was it ended up as twenty-two minutes. It's not a great piece of writing but I enjoyed creating Amy and Sam's story.  And to think that they didn't exist at all until I began writing. They just appeared in my imagination. The purple pink magic took form as I did the art work and so I had that in mind before I started writing but the characters only came as I wrote. The art took twenty minutes simply because I had to dry layers with a heat gun but the writing could have gone for longer.  Great fun!

  • How did you get on with this week's TIC TOCC? 
  • Did your imagination take over and surprise you like mine did?
  • Please share your thoughts and, if you're able to, links to your own results in the comment section of this post. 
In issue 2 of Wright Story Extra I shared a few tips for doing TIC TOCCs.


  • Do you have any tips on doing timed creative challenges that you could share with other participants in the comments below?
It was great fun to share the TIC TOCC experience last week and so I'm looking forward to this week's chat.   For those a bit shy to join in the comments/Twitter/Facebook chat I hope you're enjoying the Wright Story Extra. If you need to ask any questions about TIC TOCC in private please feel free to click the contact via email link at the bottom of the newsletter.

I've set up a Wright Story Extra page where you can sign up to receive weekly TIC TOCC prompts and a monthly bonus interview. On that page you'll also find links to previous issues.

WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

11 comments:

  1. How lovely!

    It makes me long to create something today.........

    Thanks for sharing. I'm loving keeping up with your work.

    ~Mimi
    www.thegoatborrower.blogspot.com
    www.collagepirate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh keep going! remind me of "the mists of avalon"...I absolutely loved that book, all mystical and medieval...dreeeamy! :)
    What a beautiful painting too, the colours and swirl perfectly capture the mystical ethereal quality of your story :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi - thank you :-) Hope you enjoy creating something today!

    Jenny - thank you, glad you enjoyed - it was fun to write. X

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am visiting from creative every day and I was drawn by your name. My name is Katina and it's so rare to find someone with the same name as me!! Lovely site here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katina (The Write Girl) - thanks for stopping by my blog. Two Katina's who both write - fab :-) Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat!

    That's a great story, I'd love to read more!

    I love stone circles, so I felt quite excited about this challenge. My picture is a bit rubbish, but I found the act of making it very calming, calm being in short supply here at the mo!

    Sam xx
    www.talesofveryordinarymadness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, week 2 didn't go quite as smoothly as week one. I sat down to write for 10 minutes and barely had anything written by the end of those 10 minutes. I think most of that time I was writing to figure out what I was writing about. I turned on the timer for another 10 minutes and those 10 minutes turned out to be writing an argument. Not sure if I'll post it on my blog this week or not. I'll have to re-read it and see what I think.

    It was fun to stretch my creative writing muscles, though. And as you said, the end product isn't really the point.

    I enjoyed your story and painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam - glad the stones appealed to you and that you managed to carve out some calm time. I shall visit your blog next!

    Anne - exactly, the end result isn't important (but if you change your mind about sharing then I'd love to read) and I'm glad that you enjoyed stretching your creative writing muscles. The fact is whatever the result you spent twenty minutes creating and exercising your imagination. It can only be good :-)

    Thanks both of you for sharing your experience.

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I don't know, seems like a good piece of writing to me! It captured my attention. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did my TIC TOCC this week and had great fun. You can see it on my blog. Have a Happy Easter, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda - that's great, so glad you joined in and enjoyed. I shall go visit your blog now. Happy Easter to you too.

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...