Friday, 6 May 2011

Brainstorm Garden: creating focus from a tangled mind...

Happy Paint Party Friday! This week I painted something a little different...
Sometimes my mind ends up in a tangle of thoughts and worries. Does that happen to you? I know that worrying about problems and concerns doesn't make them go away. Similarly tying ones brain into knots does not solve anything; quite the contrary: the resulting anxious perspective means we deal with life less effectively. I know all these things but sometimes I fall into the thought tangle trap; usually when I'm feeling over tired and/or overwhelmed. 

During this week's mind tangle I realised that I needed to regain an inner and outer focus in order to guide my days towards positive creative tasks meaningful to me, rather than towards unsolvable concerns. Writing in my journal helped a little. I considered brainstorming but my already overloaded mind balked at the idea seeing it as another task to perform. I wanted to paint flowers and from those two ideas sprung the idea of creating this  'Brainstorm Garden'. Suddenly my mind relaxed; I wasn't asking it to work but instead play. So I played with acrylic paint, acrylic paint pens and fineliners. I had creative fun whilst finding focus for my days. As a bonus, once I became involved in painting my mind started to relax easing the tension tangles. 

I started this Brainstorming Garden late two evenings ago and finished it yesterday.  In between these two sittings I read this post on the lovely Shannon's Free Spirit Knits blog and smiled at finding synchronicity with my blogging friend. Writing about removing mental clutter her words seemed to fit in wonderfully with where I was at. If you're not familiar with Shannon's blog you won't regret a visit. She has also kindly let me interview her for June's edition of Wright Story Extra
  • How do you find focus when overwhelmed?
  • Can you find ways to turn practical tasks into fun creative ones?
In other news: 
Have you visited the Inspiration Avenue blog to view the wonderful art auction in aid of Angel Faces charity? Just two days left to try and purchase a beautiful unique piece of art. Please do pay a visit. Its easy to bid & 100% of your money goes to this deserving charity.



Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

31 comments:

  1. Loving your brainstorm garden and what a great idea!

    Hope all your worries got sorted ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write on my studio walls! Love you garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brainstorming garden is a brilliant idea. I find just seeing things on the page in front of me helps to make sense of it. Journals are great aren't they?xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea for an overcrowded mind!! My husband is a fan of mind maps but I prefer lists - now however I might have to grow my own brainstorm garden for when I need to prioritise my thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hybrid J - thank you :-) I've sorted the way I deal with them at least. Lol;-)

    Yvonne - thanks :-) I like the idea of spreading out over your walls - real freedom to explore and express!

    Jessie - thank you :-) Yes seeing things on the page helps me too & I agree journaling is great!

    Pointy Pix - thank you:-) Yes I'm a bit of a list fanatic but sometimes so many lists can stress me out - it relaxed me doing this brainstorm garden. I'm trying to explore creative ways of working. I'd love to know if you create a brainstorm garden.

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE your brainstorm garden- what a FAB idea! I might have to do one of my own :D I started a new painting this week that was quite different than what I wanted to do. But my busy mind wouldn't settle on anything, and a brainstorm garden might have helped me find another course.
    So, Thank you and Happy PPF,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A brainstorm garden is great idea. It's all about getting the clutter out of the way, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous post Kat! I'm honored to be included. I love our synchronicity.,,thanks for being part of my path. Happy day to you in your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for your garden! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's kind of like a mind map, but prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, these days I too am overwhelmed by many trials and tribulations of life; too complicated and tried of repeating but they are the elements we read in the novel and sometimes , unfortunately they become a part of one person's fabric. So today I am losing myself in the therapeutic element of art!

    All the best to you and I think the Garden of Brainstorming is such a therapy in itself....great discovery!

    Annabelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mind certainly sounds like mine this week. I used the term 'antsy' to describe me yesterday. I did enjoy my Ticc Tock exercises though - and I meant to say thanks for the tweets :)

    I love the way your creative juice directed you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your brainstorm garden. What a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your brainstorm garden is great! I journal a lot so I try and get out all the mess by just getting into my art & then I feel so much better. Happy PPF! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Brainstorm Garden! What a creative way to empty your mind of it's worries! When overwhelmed I often just write everything down on a peice of paper or even in my sketch book. Then I look at it and decide which things I can't possibly do anything about and scribble them out. Then look at what's left, group them together in categories with circles and arrows. Decide which is the priority and just go work on that. And if all of that is too much work I just go in my mind and recreate some bit from my trip to Ireland or my last trip to the beach, smell the air, hear the roar of the waves, feel the sand between my toes and relax. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Brainstorm garden!!! what a clever idea!!!

    HAppy PPF!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this! you know it looks like a mind map on the way to a solution! good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kat,

    I have done several similar versions of your brainstorming garden though not specifically a garden. It definitely helps!!

    Lovely job! Hope it accomplished what you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, sometimes we all get overwhelmed and unfocues! I like your clever idea here...a brainstorming garden.

    I like to go to the library or just peek through magazines to help me brainstorm...I usually just grab some computer paper and just put my pencil down...you never know what will turn up!
    have a great friday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great idea and so unique. Love this. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  21. yay HI Fabulous-Kat...you are always conjuring up magic in all you do..i love your brainstorm-garden..very transformative i feel! powerful! I think it is great to bring your tangled thoughts and re-focus them into new inspirations~! Awesome!
    HUgs..you rock!
    Victoria~
    PS: when my mind is tangled..I use my sound healing/singing bowl..and let the tone ring..till i feel my head clears..and of course..then..i allow that energy to create in some way..whether gardening..or paitning or singing..or doodling...but yes..i let those tangled vines release so i can feel re-attuned and energized again!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an absolutely brilliant idea, I just LOVE your brainstorm garden :) A tangle of thought transformed to beautiful colourful flowers sending tendrils of dreams to the heavens...soooo wonderful :)XX
    Ps...alas,annexe only in the seeds of dreams..but one day :)x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the brainstorm garden idea. Journals have a way of easing the mind. Good job. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kat, thank you for your lovely comment. The house is down the south of England in a lovely little town called East Molesey and just across from Hampton Court Palace!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this idea! Brainstorm Garden...Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I too love love this idea, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am someone who constantly worries way too much. I love your brainstorm garden and am convinced that creative work (or play, whatever you may call it) can help to relax the mind and make you feel better. For me, nature also helps a lot - a walk around my favorite lake, a visit with the owls is all that it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful artwork and a great way to work out a tangled mind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great idea & fun vibrant results :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your brainstorm garden is brilliant... What a great way to deal with your "tangle"!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderfully fun idea! A great way to turn around your worries.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...