Friday, 13 May 2011

Celebrating the 'can-dos' & a new Mandala (IA sacred/ancient/symbolic challenge)


This week I hosted the Inspiration Avenue weekly challenge for the first time. I chose the theme sacred/ancient/symbolic art. I felt nervous hosting for the first time but have been grateful for all the support I've received and heartened by the wonderful art work that has already been submitted. Visit the Inspiration Avenue blog Sunday evening to view the challenge submissions and if you want to join in leave a link to your entry in the challenge post comments by Sunday Midday (EST - which is about 5pm UK time). There's a chance to win beautiful art work every month just by joining in. For this theme I created a new mandala (above) and intend to use it as one of the images in a set of art cards I intend to get printed and sold in my etsy shop soon. I thoroughly enjoyed creating this mandala. I found the process meditative. The detailed work involved gave me a bit of a headache. Lol. :-) But at least it shows how well my near vision and concentration has improved; this was done in one day and not long ago that would have taken several days and crippling pain. Now I just need to improve my peripheral vision and ability to follow movement so that I can drive again. I remain hopeful of this and meanwhile am so grateful for the progress I've made and what I can now do.

Talking of 'can-dos'....today I received copies of this month's  DPPI (Disability, Pregnancy and Parenthood international) journal  in which I have an article published with the title 'Celebrating the can-dos'. 

  • What 'can-dos' are you celebrating this week?

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Mandala! And congratulations on all your "can-dos" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great question for me this week cause I just discovered the major can-do of my life... being an entrepreneur!! Wiihaa! It makes me freak out! I haven't slept for 2 nights now, it's just all too glorious :-)

    And can I please give expression to the enormous respect I feel when I see that mandala and come to know that you made it. Really, Kat. Respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mandala and love the positive can-do story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your article!!! That's wonderful! And your mandala looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how cool for you hosting and getting an article published, awesome, you can-do anything! I LOVE your mandala and all the beautiful details! So you know, I tagged you in a game of blog tag, check out my blog if you want to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent and inspirational!

    I paint mandalas for a living, so your post hit home with me.

    Namaste,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat!! HUgs and sparkles..what super-beautiful mandala..awe-inspiring..this one really captivates me with it's intricate weavings...it pulls me in gently and seems to hold me in a silent space of peacefulness..I also feel a connection to the Harp..and connecting those sounds to it as I gaze at it....so perhpas for me I sense healing harp sounds weaving me within..thankyou! I loved that you hosted this week and the topci you chose sang to my heart!

    Congrats on the article..I will chekc it out!

    PS:Thankyou for your beautiful words they really touched my heart and i am honored you'd share!
    Thankyou for asking..i have been shy about selling my art/prints..but have been asked again and again and am really touched.. so i think I may try to learn how to do all that..I will keep you posted in the future! Hugs and thankyous!
    victoria
    xo

    Thankyou again for this beautiful piece of art this week..just stellar and gorgeous as always! I think we are such kindreds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Mandala! Thanks for hosting this weeks theme. You did a great job.
    I know how you feel about getting a headache working on such detail, but I know it's all worth it. The detail work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful Mandala. I wish you congratulations on your many levels of accomplishments this week. Thank you for your kind words and connections to my piece. I have been out of sorts lately and truly miss my blogging and connection with other bloggers. So thank you so much for having a wonderful theme that I could not resist and came back to the blogland. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kat I can see why you find the process of creating your mandalas meditative - this is so calming to look at! Beautiful work, all that close detail is amazing! I loved exploring the theme you chose, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all your mandelas, but I think this one is my favorite so far! I can see the contemplative aspect of it. It's nice to be able to focus on something that gives pleasure.

    And congrats on the article!

    I'll be praying that you get back to driving really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is intricate,detailed and very beautiful Kat. I can see how you'd get lost in a meditation here.
    Love your "can-do" attitude and celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kat, this is exquisite! I could gaze at it forever. I really like that it is black and white. Somehow the intricate design stands out more that way. Just beautiful!

    Congratulations on your article being published!
    (AND on a job well done on the challenge hosting this week :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm amazed at how anyone can draw a mandala, so that's brilliant Kat. And congratulations at getting your article published. I'm going to pop along and look at it later. Great stuff xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear everyone (sorry to make it a group reply again but I'm not feeling too great):

    Thank you so much for all your lovely kind & supportive comments. It means so much to read them all & I value every one of them! Thank you :-)

    Kat Xx

    PS Victoria, I'm amazed you'd be shy to sell your amazingly talented art work - it is truly some of the best I've ever seen!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kat, I have NO IDEA how I missed your post, but I did. I love this mandala, and I thought you did an excellent job of hosting and picking the theme last week. I am always impressed when you make a mandala and was even more impressed that your work has been published. That's a great can-do story, if I ever heard one.

    And thanks for being so kind to me, making sure what I created was OK for the challenge. You were very thoughtful. Thanks again, and congrats on your first hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...