Tuesday, 14 June 2011

(TIC TOCC no.10) Hope for the future & a metaphorical wall....

click image to enlarge
In this week's Wright Story Extra I interviewed the incredibly inspirational Shannon Kinney-Duh and I offered a TIC TOCC that encouraged the imagination to look past a historical wall that I had photographed.

The above result was done in 28 minutes (I couldn't stop at 20mins) and was created using Pitt artist pens & Rowney Georgian watercolours.  I've had this watercolour pan set for about twelve years and it still continues to be a joy. Do you have any creative tools/materials that have served you well over many years?

I've been contemplating the ways we keep going, brush ourselves off, scrape our moods off the ground and face the future. The prompt and photo originally sparked off another section to a fantasy fiction piece that I've been intermittently working on. But then I realised that to me, today, this wall also held a metaphorical reference. There's a wall that separates us from knowing what the future brings. Therefore in tough times it can be hard to motivate ourselves to keep going; not knowing if the future will bring any improvement. I decided to art journal what was behind that wall, out of sight, that keeps me moving forward. As you can see I imagined hope and dreams growing in the form of trees and blossom. Because that's what keeps me going: my hope, dreams and faith that love, growth and joy will always be found. I guess we need to believe in the present and potential goodness of life to keep positive. I think a large reason for the resiliance of human beings lies in their belief in hope.

Okay enough deep-stuff-waffle from me. Please do let me know (in the comments section below) how you got on with this week's TIC TOCC and if you enjoyed Shannon's interview answers as much as I did!


This post again also seems to fit with the Creative Everyday June theme of 'Metamorphosis'.

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Love your piece and what it represents, lovely! My piece this week is a bit shorter than my last ones, but your tic toccs have set my brain a rolling and I started writing some other scenes from the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy - thank you :-) Glad you're inspired and writing new scenes! Shall pop over to your blog next!

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't managed to play for weeks, but was determined to do so today. Composed this in my mind on the way home from work and just knocked it up in about 15 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - great, glad you could join in :-) I shall go visit your blog next!
    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote this challenge in my sketchbook. The theme this month is pathways.It's called
    Pathway through a Poppy Field
    "Yesterday she took a different path, it felt right to her.Passing a garden gate she noticed the flowers inside were twinkling like stars.
    Intrigued she opened the gate to investigate. Inside she fell into a sparkling bright red and golden flower. She was held there emerged in glittery happiness until she drifted off to dreamland."
    These words are followed by a drawing of a poppy field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Kat
    BTW I went ahead and posted this
    TIC TOC on Http://gemmasjournal.blogspot.com and linked it back to you.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. gemma - that sounds great. Lovely words.I shall go & check out your blog post.
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just loved this post and your piece is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I like what you have written and how you have visually depicted it. Yes it is rather deep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post and I really like your painting. I didn't get to participate in Tic Tocc this week, but will try to catch up next week! Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your deep stuff waffle :) And completely agree...hope is a powerful force. Such a beautiful painting with the blossoming tree of hopes and dreams just beyond the wall...you WILL get there of that I have no doubt :)x

    ReplyDelete
  12. B - I'm glad you liked, thank you for leaving such a lovely comment:-)

    Jehanne - thank you for visiting & leaving such a kind comment :-)

    Rhonda - thank you sweetie :-) I look forward to you joining in next week cause I always miss you when you don't get chance. X

    Jenny - thanks for liking even my waffle ;-) And thanks - your comment is so lovely and supportive; it means a lot to me. Xx

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can wholly relate to your 'deep stuff waffle' Kat, although sometimes it's very hard to keep going. Gorgeous picture too, and interesting interview with Shannon. I've dug out my battered 'artist's way' for some more inspiration.

    I've written a piece over at www.talesofveryordinarymadness.blogspot.com/ It's my first ever attempt at fantasy writing, as inspired by your photo. Not sure it's much of a way 'beyond the wall' so to speak, but it was fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam - I'm glad you understand my waffle as many can't decipher my constant ramblings. LOL. :-)) And yes, it is hard to keep going sometimes but I'm glad you have a book that helps inspire you to keep creative.

    I am very much looking forward to reading your fantasy story next...

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...