Friday, 19 August 2011

PPF Tales of the unexpected...


I am very happy, after a long break, to join in with Paint Party Friday today. Here is the painting I worked on this week between school holiday childcare and visitors.  It's part of a series of sisal and acrylic mixed media paintings I've created. I showed my previous sisal tree in this blog post and I've just listed these two on my etsy shop today.
Here's a side view:

So why the title 'Tales of the Unexpected'?

Because: I've been musing this week on how things rarely turn out as expected. For instance three consecutive rainy days would normally ensure the kids were going loopy and starting to drive me insane. But instead they've been in fine moods and we've enjoyed each others company doing activities like baking, art, games and home cinema. Another recent example: my seven year old son was convinced that a trip to a historic house and estate would be 'sooo boring'. Yet he enthusiastically explored, chatted and  questioned with a grin on his face the entire trip.

How many times do we really not want to do something only to have a fantastic time, meet someone or learn something that alters the course of our life?

This also applies to our creative work. Sometimes I sit down facing the blank page or canvas thinking there is no way I can possibly conjure up anything worth reading or seeing. Alternatively I may enthusiastically start a painting or piece of writing that begins to morph into a messy jumble. Yet frequently, in both cases, when I work through these situations and the associated fear something beautiful materialises. It may be something small: a perfectly formed sentence, vague  character idea or accidently discovered paint effect.  But small things can lead to big projects or a life lesson worth learning. Equally, there are days when we just need a rest and that rest time can unexpectedly bring us inspiration itself.

  • What unexpected result have you experienced recently?
  • Do you allow yourself to work past the blocks & fear to discover something the other side?
  • Do you allow yourself creative rest days? What unexpected inspiration have you discovered on a rest day?
In other news:
To celebrate this blog recently achieving 100 followers I will be announcing a fun and creative prize draw this weekend. Be sure to return for a chance to enter.... 

Right, I'm off to visit other Paint Party Friday participants - why don't you join me? There is sure to be lots of gorgeous painting to discover!


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

22 comments:

  1. It's great when things turn out unexpectedly good when you were dreading them! It's worth just getting on and doing anyway isn't it. You never know what joys you might be missing out on.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous piece Kat!! I love this one for so many reasons..so much symbolic energy and metaphors..very empowering..healing and energizing for me!! gorgeous!!I also love the vibe to it all...very intriguing what you have cerated!!

    Yay congrats !! sounds fun fun!!
    Have a blissful wkd friend!
    victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors of sunset and the dimension in your sisal tree! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your creation! Wow! Yes, love the unexpected joys that pop up in our lives~ namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful 3D effect with the sisal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Kat- the colors, composition, the dimensions of your canvas all work together so beautifully to celebrate your tree- wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a great believer in just letting go and finding your best work too!

    Love this piece although now I have the theme tune to 'Tales of the Unexpected' running round my head and visions of women waving their arms about (vague recollections of the start of the show!). Maybe I should see if I can find it on YouTube!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is terrific and loving the tree. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unexpected pleasures are the best kind...wonderful piece today! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes - its all bout working though and not giving up. Like your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, it's good to see you again. Love the way your work turned. Lots of dimenstion in that piece. Great colors in the sunset. Thanks for sharing. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great colors... I love the dimension the sisal adds to your canvas :)

    Hurray for your unexpected tales!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the dimension the sisal adds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw your great sisal tree earlier (cuz I follow your blog) and thought I'd left a comment, but apparently not :( It's a very cool idea to use the texture of the one to reflect the texture of the other! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The painting turned out beautifully!! Love the colours and texture.

    I'm so glad to hear your rainy days turned into a great adventure for all the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of tales of the unexpected... That's the best feeling, to find joy in some small pleasure you didn't expect to be anything out of the norm. I can't think of an example but it does happen to me alot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, uncertainty does seem to open doors to the greatest magical moments! I love your painting, it's vibrant colors are gorgeous!Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANK YOU all for leaving such lovely & thoughtful comments. I enjoyed reading them all & it was fun to be part of PPF again this week!

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is stunning. Delicious colors. Love the way the string wraps around the side of the canvas. I try to push myself through my funks and I rarely regret it. Sometimes the funk lingers and I walk away with a number of failed attempts in the scrap bin. Other times, I work through to a totally different place. Either way is growth. For me I need to accept that some work is better than others, and there's always something gained from the process. (and eventually those "failed" scraps get repurposed into something else!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh these colors are so wonderful! Sometimes when things are not coming I just sit in my Art room and look around not expecting anything then it comes!! This is a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your piece this week is bright and unique! And musing over the fears we give in to that keep us from adventures...really hits home. HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  22. iamrushmore - thank you for those kind & wise words :-)

    Heather - thank you so much :-)

    Sheri - thank you:-) Yes it does seem a shame when we miss out like that.

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...