Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Creatively Re-purposing a Hospital Letter....(TIC TOCC 18)


These are my results for TIC TOCC 18 which can be viewed in my Wright Story Extra newsletter here.

I've got to admit I've never felt less like doing a TIC TOCC than this week. After a few days of feeling really poorly I was struggling to do much at all. However, I figured that as this week's prompt was based around being creative with a negative, I really needed to try. Therefore this morning, albeit a little later than my usual TIC TOCC posts are created, I gathered these materials together:


Then taking a recent hospital letter (just visible in the photo) I spent twenty minutes re-purposing it. First I covered it in paint and then dried it using a heat gun. This took my first ten minutes and left me with this:


I spent a few minutes cutting out freehand shapes before sticking them into a page of my art journal. The result was this whimsical picture that feels much happier and positive than the original hospital letter.


I still feel a bit icky, so it wasn't a magical cure, but it did make me happier to create a little. And as the heat gun dried the acrylic paint the smell reminded me of children's school paintings drying on racks over heaters in an effort to prepare them for presentation to proud parents at school pick-up. That poster paint drying was pleasantly nostalgic.

  • What have you creatively re-purposed recently?
  • If you've had a chance to try TIC TOCC 18 please do share your experience/results in the comments below.
***Psst! By the way - readers of this week's Wright Story Extra with TIC TOCC 18 can discover a 10% discount coupon offered in this issue for using when shopping in my etsy shop.***


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

8 comments:

  1. what a bright artwork:) Lovely and very uplifting.You have done an amazing job Kat and I pray that God will heal you everyday. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when you're feeling 'out of sorts', it's amazing the kind of creativity that can come from it! I feel better after having made somethng even when I don't think I have the energy. It's the thought of it that gets in my way! I hope you're feeling better now :)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so inspiring! I love what you did with the letter, such a bright happy piece! I wasn't much feeling like doing much this morning cuz I have five hundred other things I should be doing, but doing the Tic Tocc left me happy and motivated. I'm glad I took the time. Thanks! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, I'm sending huge hugs to you right now. You are such an inspiration, creating when you don't at all feel like it. Your repurposed letter is so happy and fun. Not at all what it was before.

    I am so sorry that you've been unwell. I have a little fantasy that you and I step out of our lives for an afternoon, pick apples, bake a cake and drink tea together. The imagination can be such a wonderful companion.

    Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and kindness on my blog. It means a lot to me. Make sure to take good care of yourself, too. Hope you feel much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat. So sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time of it lately. So hope you feel a bit better today. Love what you did. What an interesting prompt. It was funny the journey my mind went on while creating my post - words and picture. Thanks for forcing me to cheer myself up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elisa - thank you, you're so kind. Xx

    Jess - thank you :-) Yes, I agree, sometimes the thought of doing is worse that actually doing.

    Missy - thank you :-) I'm happy that you got on well with this week's TIC TOCC & shall be over to visit your blog next! X

    Anne - thank you for that super lovely comment - it means a lot. I'm getting better again; bit more rest & I shall pick myself up again. I love your fantasy & would love for it to come true!! Xx

    Lisa - thanks, I'm glad you liked the prompt & it helped. I'm resting up & getting better already. I shall visit your blog & see your results in just a mo :-)

    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is EXACTLY what should be done with hospital letters!!
    Bloody good on you, Kat xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...