Thursday, 22 March 2012

Imaginative Procrastination & Getting Out of a Creative Slump...


No, I haven't disappeared off the face of the blogging planet. My time and energy has  been swallowed up by a few days break, followed by (or actually started when away) another round of viruses and then ending recently in a creative slump. You know the kind - you think about creating but are sure no idea is worthy, that your skills are lacking anyway and subsequently become despondent. Suddenly the only creative activity you do is to invent extremely imaginative ways to procrastinate!! Sound familiar?

Luckily, I was invited to join a round robin journal swap which has encouraged me to be creative and nudge the muse back into action. Today I was working on my journal. I covered a plain spiral bound brown card scrapbook album with rich red wallpaper as a base and cover. Then I worked on the first two pages which you can see in progress in the photo above. On the left side I've made a little pocked to hold the letter I'm writing to all participants as a sort of 'welcome to my journal' type of thing. On the right side I am making a mini guest book so that each participant can sign in & introduce themselves. With Creative Everyday's mixed media theme in mind I'm adding buttons/yarn/fabric/brads and similar. The photo above shows the work in progress.

  • What do you do when you feel creatively stuck? 
I've tried many things including - just sitting down to create even if the page in front remains blank. Just showing up can be half the battle. Often I just need rest, time

and mind nourishment to recover. Other times, like now, a new project will encourage my muse to show its face. So thank you Lisa!

On this subject I find creativity coach and writer Eric Maisel's books helpful. I've read 'Van Gogh Blues' and 'Coaching The Artist Within'. Both are an interesting study of the emotional link we have with our creativity and are full off advice that can help us understand the creative mind.


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better and are climbing out of your slump. What a fun project to be participating, your journal looks great, lovin that little pocket. When I'm in a slump I read, it inspires and am still doing something active with my brain, but slumps suck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy :-) Funnily enough, I have been reading a lot! Trouble with me is I could get lost in fiction books for ever and never get anything done. LOL. But a good novel can be an incredible comfort to the soul and mini holiday from the drudge. And like you say, can inspire me.
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Kat! I think this round robin will take us all out of our winter slump! I love the rich red of your journal (red is my favorite color :) and the square shape. I love working on a square page but I hardly ever do.

    You described perfectly my thought process when I am in a creative slump. No ideas, and then thinking 'what's the use...it won't turn out anyway!' UGH. So self defeating.

    But I'm feeling energized by the prospect of a journal in the mail every month from each of my dear friends!

    Take care, and continue to feel better!

    Maggie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you sweetie :-) Glad you'll get to work on a square page now :-) I posted my journal off today. Sent it on its worldwide travel!
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. Oh boy! I can certainly relate to the creative slump and the nasty self doubts.
    Your art journal looks fantastic!!! This is such an exciting project, mostly because I will be able to see each journal and touch it...
    I hope things just keep improving for you Kat.
    It seems like so many of us are feeling the same
    "Bleh" Kind of comforting knowing we are not alone.
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you :-) I hope we'll all get the other side of this happy and inspired. It certainly helps having wonderful bloggy friends like you.
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  4. OOh you know I can never resist a journal and yours is looking so lovely.
    Personally I find making journals a great creativity outlet as when ideas are taking time to form for the cover (or in other words I'm procrastinating!) I get the practical pleasure of just cutting the paper..simple but amazingly satisfying and therapeutic !
    Glad you're enjoying that sunshine..such a lift indeed wheeee!! :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - thank you for your kind words :-) Of course I'm a trillion miles away from the standard & beauty of your gorgeous journals!! I know what you mean about cutting paper, along with gluing and paint covered hands it relaxes me too :-)
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about the bout of viruses and your creative slump. I've been in a bit of a creative slump, too. I think you're right about needing time to rest. And it's good to have some somewhat mindless projects to work on while you're resting (an easy crochet project usually fits the bill for me).

    Your journal is wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    Big hugs to you!! (And happy belated birthdays to us both!! Wish we could share cupcakes together!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you :-) Yes, I wish we could share cupcakes and have a good chat over a cuppa - that would be fab!!
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Kat W -- Sometimes we only have to begin -- You are so right; I like your term "creative procrastination" I might use it when the mood strikes. Blessings Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...