Saturday, 28 July 2012

Swirls....

This week's Inspiration Avenue theme is 'Swirls' set by the lovely talented Maggie. Swirls are one of my favourite things to draw & my many doodles are saturated with them as are my mandala creations. There's something therapeutic about drawing swirls and in repeating them within a doodle I can get lost in the smooth action of creating the curves. Swirls also fit with the Creative Every Day July 'round' theme.

The obvious thing for me to have done for this challenge is a mandala or doodle but I thought I'd try something a little different. And as promised I changed from my pink/purple colour scheme to favour blues and greens. Although, admittedly, I just had to include a small pink embroidery swirl at the centre. I couldn't help myself! :-)

Working on canvas paper I first used liquid masking fluid to paint a central swirl. Then after it dried I painted layers of colours (because this didn't fit on the scanner you'll have to imagine the more subtle colour layers that can't be seen with this photo) using a mixture of fabric stain and acrylic paint.
 After drying I peeled off the masking fluid to reveal the grungy white swirl. Then using a paper pricking tool I punched swirl patterns then stitched them using embroidery thread.

This was a fun project because I got to play with different mediums and techniques. Thanks Maggie for the inspiration.

If you visit Inspiration Avenue Sunday afternoon you'll be able to see how everyone else interpreted the swirl theme. With so many talented artists participating weekly you'll be sure to enjoy and be inspired!

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Kat that is so cool. tou are so talented!! very cool. I have liquid masking stuff no idea what is is. was given to me. you inspire me to experiment.

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelinwa - thank you sweetie :-) Yes, I've had this liquid masking stuff sitting in my cupboard for ages & thought it was time I had a go :-) Lovely to hear from you, hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous - the colours remind me of the ocean and I love the stitching - very creative! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - thank you :-) Yep, the colours reminded me of the sea (which we've seen a bit more pleasantly the last week or so in the sun) & the swirl is kinda fossil like. Hope you had a great break by the sea. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. Kat, I love this...it's so difficult to make something look grungy on purpose! And you've found an excellent way to do it. I love the depth behind it in the yummy blues. The little stitched swirls are awesome too. Sewing added to mixed media adds texture and dimension. I'm so glad you entered the challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - aw thanks sweetpea :-) I enjoyed joining in this week, its been so hectic that it was good to take time to create & connect up with everyone. I do like mixing mediums in one piece, makes for extra fun :-) Thanks for this week's inspiration. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  4. I like this color combination, too! I have a hard time working messy, freely, loosely, etc so I really appreciate how hard it is to draw nice swirls! I like how you reversed direction on the inner swirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. craftymoose - thank you :-) I seem to swing from liking neat-symmetrical-orderly to all out freedom-messy. Lol. Kat X

      Delete
  5. Beautiful colors! Soothing, like the sea. I'm glad you described your process so I could look more closely at the variations in color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou Anne - thank you :-) Yep, with this photo is is hard to see the variations/layers. It was soothing to create using these colours. Kat X

      Delete
  6. The thread and stitching adds so much dimension. I love it. Terah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very much summer feel in these swirls, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really neat. Maybe it's my weird head, but if you look at it really quick, it kind of reminds me of weather radar, and the white swirls are the clouds. All in all beautiful and interesting...as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - thank you :-) I can imagine your idea with the weather radar. Kat X

      Delete
  9. Pretty creation of 'swirls' spirals ~ lovely colors and love the stitching ~~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you did with the liquid masking tape looks really cool, love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy - thank you :-) Hope all is well with you. KatXx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...