Friday, 24 August 2012

A tale written for those who inspire me & a RR journal pages spoiler)



August is the month I've taken care of and added to Kim's gorgeous journal. This month I used a variety of ideas & techniques including: blending with acrylics & ink, drawing in ink, stamping (I used a Docrafts/Papermania urban stamp collection that I bought especially because of Kim's bird themed journal), layering & collage, creative writing and more mandala work. I spent many many hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. The multiple layers of stamps, paint, ink & paper really lent itself to a fun play time. Let me take you through my four pages....

First a close up of 'Loriel' the bird whose tale I create on page four. I struggle to draw anything realistic but I tried my best with this:


Then the page adjacent to Loriel:


 I used Pitt gold and Indian ink pens to create this mandala.

I then cut part of it out so that this page would open to reveal the next - like this (I have to say the other participants of this swap inspired me to do this with their own creative use of the pages) :


The next two pages look like this:


I didn't want the underside of the mandala to remain plain so I stamped, played with paint/ink and layered papers to create a title page for Loriel's story:

I then typed my story & printed it onto handmade paper ripping the paper border and edging with ink before gluing it on my paint/ink/stamp layered background:


Lorien's story is inspired by the round-robin journal girls, my children and all my bloggy friends who regularly help me create. It may be a little twee but its from the heart & is a thank you to all who inspire and encourage. I have a slightly longer version brewing in my imagination but this is the tale as told in and for Kim's journal:


Loriel didn’t look like the rest of his family.
He didn’t have their predominately brown feathers and the red
chests that all Robins displayed proudly; a symbol of their
heritage and belonging. Even his bird-song was different to theirs.
Loriel longed to belong to the Robin clan whose many entrusted tasks
included keeping an eye on children for Santa so that he would have
help deciding who was naughty or nice.
When Loriel asked his Mum why his feathers were vibrant hues
of rainbow colours and his song so at odds with the Robins she told him:
“Because you are special Loriel; your colours and kind happy
nature are a gift from the Rainbow spirits.”
“But I want to be like you and all the other Robins,” Loriel admitted sadly.
“Don’t ever wish you were something you’re not,” his Mum advised,
“for you have a special purpose and an important talent.”
“What is it?” Loriel asked eagerly.
“You are an Inspiration bird. You will bring joy and inspiration to
all you meet,” she told him.
“How?” he asked, unable to imagine how he could undertake such a task.
“By being your beautiful true self.”
“Is that all?” Loriel was doubtful.
“That’s all that can be expected by anyone. And much joy
can come from sharing your true nature.”
From that day, Loriel gladly sang his songs with love and proudly displayed
his colourful plumage. He inspired others to create stories, art and
music wherever he visited. They told of Loriel the rainbow
coloured bird of inspiration who happily belonged to the Robin clan.


©Katina Wright 2012

So I wave goodbye to Kim's beautiful journal and send it on its way to its next host!

Its a busy time with visits and visitors during this school holidays. Hope you're all having a good summer.
Wishing you all a happy & creative summer!
Kat Xx



Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project...and you've thoroughly done it justice. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous journal pages, Kat!! The mandala being cut out was a great idea and I have to tell you that you are a lot like Loriel. :) A beautiful, special person that inspires others.
    It was great to see you trying some new fun techniques. That's what's so great about art. There is always something new to play with or learn. I know Kim will love this! I do.
    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kat, how like you to compliment everyone on the very traits I admire about you. The mandala! Well, you know I think your mandalas are exquisite, but this one! You have reached new heights, I love the red and the way you cut it out. And to be so creative as to write a little inspiring story...you 'Wright' women sure have the perfect name. I am happy to see all of the pictures, as I won't see these pages in real life.
    I keep you in my prayers, ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so wonderful- and I must say, I am in AWE of your mandalas- they are simply AMAZING! I also love the way you did Loriel's feathers- beautiful!
    Your story is the prefect finishing touch and I too want to thank you for seeing the pictures because this one won't come back to me either! What an incredible journey this has been!
    xx
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything in this post is super lovely. Great pages and your bird and story are great and LOVE the mandala. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat
    You absolutely outdid yourself!!!!
    I LOVE everything about it! Just beautiful , the
    Bird, the colors, the mandala, the story of Loriel and the way you created the page. ... All of it is just amazing!!
    I can't wait to see it in my hands!
    Thank you my beautiful friend for putting so much of yourself in a book for me!

    Much love and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh couldn't help myself, Went back and peeked again and read the story again!

    Amazing ..... You are!
    Xo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! What gorgeous, intricate work!! Just wonderful, Kat! Love the idea of an inspiration bird, too. He's beautiful and sweet and I'd love to have him hopping around my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo, thank you :-)
    Tammy, Lisa, Stephanie, Missy, Kim, Anne - thank you for your super lovely comments, they mean the world to me. Will send you an email shortly explaining why its taken me so long to reply.
    Hugs
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pages are so beautiful Kat. I can see every second of the time you've put into them. The mandala (as always)is awe-inspiring - I really don't know how you have the patience! - and the story is the perfect compliment to your gorgeous art x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kitty-Kat...just popping in to send you some ♥Love♥
    Hope all is well and the weather is fine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...