Saturday, 4 August 2012

What Inspires Me...July RR journal swap (Stephanie) *spoiler*


 

July's joy in the post was Stephanie's journal. Another gorgeous journal for me to hold in my hands & admire :-) Stephanie asked what inspires us. This collage of images represents some of my inspiration - Cornwall, the sea, music, mandala art, whimsey, mixed media.... I'm never able to match the standard of the other very talented ladies in this swap and I don't try to. Instead I just try to add a bit of me. That included my love of doodling and this mixed media mandala:


I painted some canvas paper and then cut it up to create the collaged shapes. Then I embroidered part of the design. A little bit of paint and pen work and I had a mandala inspired sun.

The whole piece is meant to reflect my whimsical imagination and so I blended some of my favourite colours and images in curvy flowing lines and included a little fairytale stamp. I wanted it to have a fantasy 'head in the clouds' feel that portrays my character :-)


I used liquid masking tape to save some white to write on after the paint was dry. However, yet again, I badly planned out the spacing of the words. Nevertheless they are my words and they also illustrate what inspires me. I hope Stephanie likes this; it is always a bit nerve wracking committing to someone elses journal however, at the same time it is a joyful honour.

These past few months have been amazing in that my health has been stronger than its been in years but this increased ability to engage with the outside world has meant I've been so busy enjoying this opportunity that I've neglected much of my writing/creative time. However, I see this improvement in my health as a gift and I I take each day to make the most of this, especially as I'm never sure what the next day will bring. Meanwhile I carry a notebook and camera with me. And this journal swap has been the greatest gift as an inspiration, focus and treasured opportunity to connect with such amazing creative women.

  • Who/what has inspired you this week?



Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Kat, I love these colors you've used! The pinks, oranges, and yellows remind me of a beautiful sunset over the sea. I love the way the canvas pieces and the threads echo those colors. The whole piece is light, whimsical, and airy! Steph will love it!

    ps I'm SO SO happy you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE this so much! The words, the mandala, the fish, castle- ALL of it! I'm so excited that this is mine, mine, MINE!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - I'm so relieved, thank you for your lovely comment, I'm glad you like it :-)
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. Kat,
    Oh my ! What is not to love here? Your colors , inspiration, technique, it is all amazingly wonderful!
    I love that it is such a reflection of your beautiful spirit!
    So glad you are well these days! Cherish every moment,
    Write and "click" away!

    Hugs!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - oh thank you so much sweetie for your super lovely comment :-)
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  4. It's gorgeous Kat, and very "you" - completely has the fantasy, dreamy feel you were aiming for! I love that little fairytale castle and the embroidery - inspired!

    PS "Joy in the post" is a great description of this project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - thank you :-)It really does feel like a huge piece of joy when each journal arrives - so exciting :-)

      Kat Xx

      Delete
  5. These are absolutely beautiful. I also love the colors; very cheerful and bright. Congrats on improving your health. This is always a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - thank you so much :-) Yes, it is a lovely feeling having a better time health wise :-) Kat X

      Delete
  6. First, I am so, so happy that you continue to feel so good! How wonderful and how right that you should be enjoying everyday adventures!!

    As for your lovely addition to the journal, it's gorgeous. Never put yourself down for "just" adding a bit of you. The bit of YOU is never a "just" (except for being just right).

    Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne - thank you :-) Your words of encouragement & kindness mean a lot, thanks for being such a fab support.
    Hugs
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you've been feeling better, like you said, take advantage of it and get out there! Your piece is lovely and I'm sure a fantastic edition to the journal. I love how you've been incorporating the stitching into your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy! Hope you're having a great summer. Kat Xx

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, Kat, I have tears squinching from my eyes right now...and I can feel the big cry coming.
    I had t walk away an come back. YOU Kat amaze me. I am so thankful to have you in my life. And I promise to be a better friend. Your pages are perfectly, perfect YOU!
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa D - thank you for your super lovely comment - it made me tear up too! I so appreciate your support & your friendship - they mean a lot to me. Thank you sweetie :-) Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...