Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Joy in the Post..... *RRspoiler*


Its been too long since I last wrote a blog post but I'm back, after an unavoidable break, sharing my September Round Robin journal creations. Unfortunately I smell of alcohol but don't fear, I've not been indulging in daytime drinking. No, instead I managed to spill alcohol ink-blending solution over me :-)). These are my pages for the lovely Tammy - I hope she likes them.

Quite predictably one page focuses on a mandala I created for Tammy. Here's a close up:


I've drawn this mandala onto Bristol board using Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens. The background was created using coarse handmade papers, ink, alcohol blending solution and fabric paint. I've then added acrylic/wool fibres to help frame the mandala and add dimension. On the opposite page...........


......I've written a few thoughts on how I feel about the friendships our round robin journal group have formed doing this swap and previously as fellow bloggers and Inspiration Avenue team members. The background was done using the same materials/techniques and I used some ink and alcohol solution to soften the printed words. I scanned in the mandala and printed out small versions to decorate the corners of the page. Here is a close up of the words:


Well I guess the words above say enough about how I feel about these inspirational ladies and a few other people I've connected with on the internet over the years.

I like to try new ideas when I'm art journaling and this time I had some fun creating effects using ink, alcohol and fabric paint on coarse handmade paper. Using an old paintbrush, a cut up scourer pad and some inks that have remained unused for a couple of years - I experimented on different paper textures and finishes.

  • What new ideas, materials or techniques have you tried recently?
Wishing you all a happy & creative week!
Kat xx


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

20 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful spread Kat! Of course a gorgeous mandala...(I know we were all hoping for one from you)and then your thoughts...maybe it's because it is a melancholy kind of rainy day, but you made me tear up...just so supremely written.
    Love♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you sweetie :-) X I didn't want to make you teary but hopefully it was the good kind of tears. Thank you for your lovely comment. Hugs Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love your words about our little group! You have such a talent for expressing yourself, and you voiced just how I feel about us and how our friendships have grown through this wonderful journey. And of course, your mandala is (as always) InCrEDiBlE!!! I love how you used it again for a corner design, great idea!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - thank you for your super lovely comment. It filled me with smiles & support - thank you my friend! Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. Your mandala is beautiful and it is fun to experiment, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen - thank you :-) And yes it is fun to experiment & play with materials :-) Kat X

      Delete
  4. Awesome design, lovely colours. Your circle of friends sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula :-) Yes they are a bunch of greatness :-)! Kat X

      Delete
  5. Oh what a beautiful spread, Kat! Yay! I love the words you chose. So touching and heartfelt. So eloquently written and exactly how I feel, as well. I am tickled I got one of your mandalas, well 5 to be exact. :) Thank you for experimenting in my journal. I cannot wait to have it sail across the ocean and land in my mail box.
    Thank you.
    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - I'm glad you like your pages. It is always a big 'phew' when the person whose journal you've worked in is happy! Thank you for your lovely comment. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. Kat, I love seeing what sort of mandala you will do next. This one is so beautiful ~ it reminds me of native American Indian art.

    I love your writing on Friendship. The truth of it can be appreciated by everyone, especially blogging friends who might not meet "in person"!

    Maggie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you so much for your lovely comment :-) And yes those words were inspired by friends like you! Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  7. This looks fabulous! Sorry you had to wear your alcohol, but haven't we all done something like that or is it just me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn - thank you :-) And lol, no its definitely not just you! Kat :-)

      Delete
  8. Kat your words are so lovely and really touched me! I think we need a ...(((Group Hug!!!)))

    Pretty, pretty pages, love the textured papers and the addition of the contrasting fibre, and your mandalas are always show-stoppers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - thank you for your super lovely comment. I'm glad you liked the words cause they were about you & the others :-) We so need a group hug & maybe a group art retreat - how cool would that be? Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pages! Your work is always so pretty and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy - thank you, that's such a sweet thing to say & special coming from such a talented artist as yourself.
      Hope all good with you.
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  10. I like your mandala and the paper it's on. Beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...