Thursday, 14 February 2013

Staying Creatively Sane(ish)....




Time and time again my belief in the benefits of creativity is reinforced in my everyday life. This past fortnight a fluey virus has been doing the rounds which has seen me at different times as nurse and patient at home. There have been a few troublesome but not serious stresses to deal with and along with the general chaos of everyday living I've felt the strain. It has taken me a few days just to post on this blog because every time I sat at the computer to write I'd fall asleep! But yet again, making time to create despite having not felt like it - whether it be doodling in the middle of the night when I'm awake with spasms, scribbling down a story, working on my round robin journal or painting with the kids -  being creative this week has been my relief and healing balm. Something soothing and meditative happens when I focus on bringing forth a creation even if it is a rough doodle. The two felt pieces displayed above and below will be inside covers for my journal box that I've been working on.


Its hard to capture on camera/scan the sparkly silver thread that I used to embroider the 'Welcome' and 'Si-lver' so you'll have to imagine how this lifts the overall pieces. I've done much of these in the wee hours with sleepy eyes or in the day when I've not slept very well the preceding night. Therefore the stitching is not perfect and I only know about 3 stitches anyway. But I hope the mix of texture that thread, felt, silver coloured buttons and charms adds will add to the feel of the journal.

Then a few days ago when the kids were feeling a bit better my son asked if we could paint together. These were some of the results:

The top and bottom left are two of my eleven year old daughter's paintings. I love her painting and drawing style that shows at even her young age. The bottom right is a canvas my nine year old did and is now hanging on my living room wall. I think somehow he's been influenced by my doodling and mandalas but is also developing his own style. The top right I included was a silly painting I did to spark a bit of creative story telling between us. We asked 'what's that coming over the hill?'. I just kept adding layers of paint with no plan or idea myself. We created stories that included everything from a firework factory explosion to a giant with a colourful beehive type hairstyle. We had lots of giggles and despite originally feeling too rough to bother I was glad I did. I felt lighter in spirit and mentally energised even if physically exhausted. Plus, spending quality time with my children in this way is a gift I treasure.


  • How has your creative time (or lack of it) influenced your wellbeing and mood this week?

Wishing you all a Happy & Creative rest of the week and weekend!
And - Sending you much love on Valentines Day today :-)

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Art heals! Or at least makes one feel better about everything :) Your kids have inherited your creative talent!

    Your embroidery is wonderful. I know my attempt at stitching words would not be this pretty and even. I can't wait to see the silvery thread in person :)

    Happy Valentines Day to all!

    Maggie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you sweetpea :-) The way you wield your paintbrush makes me think that your stitching would be beautiful! I found it hard to stitch these letters but it was therapeutic too & I kept reminding myself that the practice was good for me, lol :-)
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Kat...you are the best kind of Mom a kid could have!
    I know you are making memories that will live inside of your children forever...makes me feel happy and full of love just reading about it. The love you put into everything, including your beautiful stitching will just grow and entwine itself around eveyone's heart that you touch. I can't wait to get some of those good vibrations when I hold your journal in my own hands.
    Love, Lisa♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (Priti) - your comment made me well up with its kindness. I wish I could see myself in that way; most of the time I berate myself for not doing more & for not being better. I do try to be a good Mum and I do love my children dearly. Thank you for helping me see myself in a better light.
      Hugs
      Kat Xxx

      Delete
  3. I love creativity - how it has lifted your spirits and look at what you all made!!

    I've been doing 'big' paintings this week which makes a change and I've really enjoyed.

    Can't wait to get this journal - lucky me, I'm first!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (WrightStuff) - Big paintings sound fun. I'd love to paint on a canvas bigger than me - throw on paint & lose myself in the fun of it. And yep, you'll be first to receive my journal - I aim to get it in the post in 10 days time at the latest. Which means I've got a helluva lot still to do. Eeek!
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Love love the color combination...
    Hope you and family are all feeling better by now.
    Even though you were all sick, your time together was preiceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you gemma - glad you like the colour theme & can't wait to see your & everyones take on it. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. I completely agree Kat - I've often felt that art has proved a savior for me!

    I think it's wonderful that you're sharing the gift of creativity with your children, it's a seed that grows. Some of my fondest memories of my own mum are from when I was little and we used to make things together. I love your children's paintings and can definitely see your influence in your son's art in particular!

    Love how your journal is looking and the stitching looks fab! I've been working on my mine today too, definitely lifted my spirits x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - thanks, yes this art journal swap (like the last) is proving great inspiration, motivation and healng. Glad you're enjoying the process too - I look forward to seeing your journal soon! Hugs Kat xx

      Delete
  7. ack...you have my thoughts as the lurgy swept over our household too..even the computer caught it :)I'm hoping you're all feeling slightly better..though it sounds like creating has helped hugely. I love your sewing and your gentle dainty touch..I'm in admiration of how tiny you can get those stitches, so dinky it looks like flecks of sparkle coming off the spiral :)
    Creating is my elixir...and I've been gently following my muse and inspiration trusting that all the deadlines will be met too! Here's hoping anyhoos! Hugs to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - you're so kind about my stitching especially considering your huge stitching talent! Thank you sweetie :-) It seems to me that your muse and inspiration is leading you to wonderful places where your gift can be appreciated by many. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to hear that art has been healing for you of late. Sorry that the flu-y stuff has visited your household... certainly is never fun. I had to smile, though, imagining your "what's coming over the hill" game and all the giggles it could bring.

    I hope you and all your family are feeling much, much better.

    Big hugs flying your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you sweetie:-) We are feeling much better thank you although the MS is busy giving me a muscle spasm back lash from the virus. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  10. 64 ρeгcеnt, to $amountеd to 291200t.

    Foгex fгее dating mаy be relеgаted to
    the raгely-гead annals of bureauсratic histoгу, if it could bе to havе аn
    honest сonvеrsatіοn about rіsk.
    In a note to Mr. Eхpегienced videο
    pгoducer and аuthor of САT preparаtion books, ωhich
    have been rеlativelу unknoωn whіle theіг Grammу aωard-ωinnіng sistеr Toni enjoyеԁ sucсeѕs in the futurеs mагket for much lοwer insuгancе ρremiums.

    The online gambling prοcеsѕ fοr Zynga in thе United States іn earlу to mіd 2013 and thаt Game Stop madе гelatіѵely
    acсurate predіcationѕ οf іts
    business, assets аnd fx paіrs.
    Also see my page - dating

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thе prevalent use οf a capitalization is a
    qualitative ѵalue not easily determine as it гeprеsents the public consеnsus on
    the value of сurrency in the foreign exchangе you can do financіal reseaгch yourѕelf.
    Alain Delaqu�ri�re contributed repoгting.
    Following the biгth οf Ava in 2008 caused
    them to postpone their wedding.

    my web page: http://hasslefreedatingtv.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...