Monday, 1 July 2013

The Book Tree - Purple Inspiration - Magical Journal Journey


I'm slowly emerging from the MS and virus induced fog and am blessed to be inspired to create for our Magical Journal Journey art journal swap. For the month of June Gemma Manzo's journal came to visit with its theme of Purple. Gemma is a children's librarian as well as an artist and this gave me the idea of creating a tree whose fruit is books. I attempted to share the idea by creating a mixed media tree with individually bound mini books and a story idea in a slightly larger book that introduces the story of The Book Tree and Violet. The following are photos of the three pages I created in this theme:

A tag coloured with a blend of inks, beads and paper cut outs
and adorned with a mix of wools and ribbon.
Then tucked into a pocket on its own page.


And here is a close up of the Book Tree:


Many hours of fiddly bits of paper and thread led to the mini books that 
grow on the Book Tree I painted. The background is then acrylic and 
stitching ensures the page stays attached to Gemma's journal.

The following is the adjacent mixed media page with a background that was created 
using a mix of ink and acrylic, brayering and stamping.
Added to it was wooden shapes I decorated, wool & ribbon.
In the centre is a mini book that tells the story behind
"The Book Tree"

Here is a close up of the book when open:


And the next couple of close-ups allow you to read the first part of
what is written inside the book. I'd like to write even more about Violet 
her Book Tree in the future. 



I wonder what book the Book Tree would choose for you today?

  • Has the right book found its way into your life at just the right time for you? 

I know I have found or been gifted books, without consciously seeking,  that offer me some wisdom or comfort perfectly related to what is happening in my life at the time.

Wishing you all a happy and creative week!
Kat :-) Xx
PS - I've also submitted this into this week's Inspiration Avenue Challenge: 'A Way With Words'


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

21 comments:

  1. dearest Kat...I just saw the exact book I needed at the exact time I needed it. WOW! I LOVE this! That book tree is genius. I LOVE trees (have some Druid in me) and books...well you know. And the story about the fae living in a human world...I speak Sidhe to the fae in my garden. You are so right on! Thank you! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma - I'm so glad you like it :-) I really enjoyed creating in your beautiful purple themed journal. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Kat! You are the perfect example of someone who listens to her intuition. I know your pages could not be more perfect for Gemma!
    I wish to have a book tree myself...
    Trees like that must grow in heaven.
    I wish to know of Violet's adventures, I do hope you write a book all about her and her book tree.
    I hope you are feeling better
    and please know that you are in my prayers
    every night.
    I feel truly blessed to know you Kat ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Thank you sweetie :-) You always boost my mood with your kind words. You may always have a Book Tree living in your imagination and hopefully someday the visualisation may become physical reality too. I hope so cause I'm dreaming Book Trees now too. I kinda want to create more Book Trees and think I probably will. Do you think it may be nice to create one on canvas to hang up? I'm thinking of this as an idea. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous and idea! I really love it. You could make it out of cards you've been given or anything like that. Lovely.

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - thanks for visiting and thank you for your kind comment:-) Kat

      Delete
  4. This is a really inspired idea, and looks so desirable. It makes me want to open each book and read the story inside, like Violet's story. It's easy to see this must have taken hours to make - a real labour of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jez - thank you :-) Yes, it took a while to create but I enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful artistic inspiration- looks like a lot of time and effort to create this amazing art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - thank you :-) Lots of time & effort but it gave me joy in return & hopefully Gemma will enjoy it too :-) Kat

      Delete
  6. Your book tree is beautiful! I wish I could look inside each little book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou Anne - thank you :-) The unknwown insides will have to tease your imagination for answers ;-) Kat x

      Delete
  7. this is breathtaking! beautiful soothing colors and just a clever project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Book Tree is truly a delightful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh, I LOVE your book tree! Such a fun idea and so beautiful!

    I'm glad to hear that you have been feeling better. I'm sending you healthy, healing thoughts and hoping that you will stay that way.

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - sorry I haven't replied sooner, your comment got lost in my spam folder (that I'm bad at checking). Thank you for your lovely comment. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  10. I don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad I found it! You are so creative and put so much love and thoughtfulness into your pages Kat. The book tree is a fabulous idea! Textural, imaginative, tactile, rich and purple loveliness! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, this is so beautiful! The way you've used all these shades of purple is perfection! I love the little sewn spines on all the books, and putting them on a tree is magical. I also love the tag tucked in its own pocket. Gemma will love!!

    So sorry I'm making a late visit. I've been trying to catch up from when I got behind in July, and now I'm getting confused about which journals I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your book tree- what a GREAT idea! And YAY- I get to see this in person in a couple of months- can't wait to see it and ooh and ahh in real life! Glad you're feeling better!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...