Saturday, 3 August 2013

"Dragonfly Bay" collaborating & connecting across the miles... (a Magical Journal Journey SPOILER for Stephanie's journal)


In July I had the pleasure of looking after and creating in Stephanie's stunning journal. Stephanie chose purple with metallics and blue-green as her theme for this Magical Journal Journey.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: being part of this and last year's art journal swap has been a blessing and joy. Being part of these swaps has inspired and comforted me with friendship, joy and learning.

Stepanie loves Dragonflies and flowers which I've tried to reflect in the pages I've created for her. Once again I've used a variety of media (various paints 2D & 3D, embroidery, collage, many textured papers, beads and embossing). To accompany this I've created a background story to tie in with the art: "Dragonfly Bay".

Here are photos of my finished pages:
Page 1:




Pages 2 and 3:



    Page 4:


 


Thank you Stephanie for letting me create in your journal and step into your creative world. I think that if we create with someone else in mind it influences our creations in a meaningful way. In these journal swaps this brings me closer to the person whose journal I'm working in. But it also encourages me to expand my skills, experiment and explore outside of my own mind. It is is a joy filled educational experience.

  • Do you create with other people's preferences in mind? 
  • Have you tried creating in the style or character of another person?
Of course we simultaneously bring our own perspective and approach to these pages which means that in this journal swap we are co-creating across thousands of miles. What a wonderful thought and way of  connecting with others!

Wishing you all a Happy and Creative Weekend!Kat xx


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Hi Kat♥
    When I looked at the close-ups, I thought they were wonderful...the little smiley faces on the dragonflies :) Then when I saw the whole spread!
    How intricate the work is. And yet, it looks like Stephanie could have painted this background herself, you have tapped into her style so well. I agree with you, Kat, the beauty of this project is the close-ness we feel, even having never met.
    Love you♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (priti) - thank you sweetie for your lovely words & thank you once again for making this special experience possible. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  2. I agree this is very "Stephanie" - I'd have known instantly it was meant for her! I've definitely noticed I take on some of each journal owner's style - have just said something similar on Kim's blog about all our styles fusing! It's not even a conscious thing, I think the journals must just bring off their own vibe :-) This is lovely work Kat, your soft twilight colours are beautiful and I love all the textural and sparkly detail! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - thank you for your super kind words :-) Yes, you're right, its not a conscious thing but more I find with them on my mind each person seems to transmit a piece of themselves into the pages. And it stretches me, each time taking me on a new exciting journey! Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. LOVE these pages Kat. I so agree about the friendship and closeness. It seems each journal has it's own energy and essence that speaks to the artist working in it. I certainly felt that way while working in your journal.
    Such a beautiful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemma :-) And I'm glad that you were able to be part of this special experience with us this year! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful personal vibes exploding from each journal bringing us close as friends and artists. I have learned so much from each of you and from each journal. I adore the challenge I get from each selected color while each journal feels so personal like a visit with you while I am working!
    I love your pages, your detail to beauty and how you capture it with your delicate stitches and beading and weaving it altogether with a story. Dragonfly Bay.. a magical place and I feel you transported me there.. I look forward to visiting again and again!!
    XO
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - thank you sweetie :-) I hope you're enjoying your visits to Dragonfly Bay :-)) The way you describe this experience in this comment perfectly reflects my feelings too! Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  5. Kat, these pages are wonder-full! I love the story behind Dragonfly Bay and agree that it's perfect for Stephanie. You have captured her style beautifully...at first glance I thought it was a painting of Steph's! I love the colors and the happy dragonflies dancing around the moon! You are so right about the friendship, joy, and learning we are experiencing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie :-) Its interesting that I didn't intend to paint in Stephanie's style but just to be for her. But it is an honour for you to say I've captured her style in any way - what a compliment! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  6. This spread is gorgeous, Kat! It has Stephanie's name written all over it. I love your dusky background and the dancing dragonflies are magical in the moonlight. Your bead work and layering is so special. You can tell you take great care in your journal pages. It's been such a treat sharing in this with all of you.

    Xo,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou Tammy for your lovely comment & encouragement. It is a treat to be part of this, for sure!! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  7. Oh WOW- I LOVE this so much!!! Thank you for my dragonflies and the wonderful story- I can't wait to see this and cherish it in person! I LOVE it!
    xx
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - I'm so glad you like the pages I've created. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed creating them. Your journal is stunning & was a real pleasure to have it visit :-) Hugs, Kat xx PS there's a little extra touch in there that I haven't shown in my post - just a mini extra.....

      Delete
  8. This is lovely, Kat!

    I've been thinking about you lately. I just read a book that takes place in Cornwall (The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley). The setting, of course, made me think of you, but also the story... a combination of magic and romance. It made me think of some of your writing.

    I hope you're doing well. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely in love with all your art

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...