Friday, 27 September 2013

A Cupboard of Treasures.......September's Magical Journal Journey (Tammy)




In September I had the pleasure of looking after and playing in Tammy's journal. Tammy chose tan, black and white as her colour scheme. I had this idea in my head of a girl inheriting a unique cupboard full of treasures. I got this idea because Tammy loves vintage treasures and found objects such as keys to use in her art. 
                     I learnt, whilst transferring this idea into art, that I am not that great at construction, a little out of practice with a craft knife and that no matter how many times you measure it is hard to get everything to match up. Having said that I enjoyed stretching myself in a different way and hopefully I've managed to translate my idea to the pages. 

So firstly I created wall paper as a background to the cupboard. I did this with a mix of acrylic colours which I then stamped onto with Versafine inks. The stamps are a Papermania Urban Collection that I bought last year to use on Tammy's journal knowing that she loves birds and keys.


I spent days designing and cutting out the doors from black card and lining each panel with individual papers. The beading was then done with black dimensional Pebeo paint. 
Behind door number one....


....are three of the objects that Anna-Beth (you can read the story below) inherits. A picnic blanket with memories, a scrapbook of photos and jewellery. Here's a closer look:


The jewellery was the most fiddly, especially the tiny earrings that are not much more than a centimeter in size. But the challenge was fun. I felt as if I were creating objects for a doll's house :-)
                            Then behind door number two......


Anna-Beth discover's her Great-Aunt Doris' wedding veil, a mirror and mantle clock that hold their own stories.

Here's a closer look.....



 The story behind these objects comes in the form of a letter. I stamped the envelope with a Tuscan Rose stamp that I forgot I had but am pleased to have rediscovered.

Here's what the letter says...
                                                         ....................................
To my darling great-niece, Anna-Beth, I bequeath memories full of love:


My treasured cupboard made by your Great-Uncle Wilfred, as a first year wedding anniversary gift to me. Handcrafted using Japan stained wood, each panel is filled with fabrics he collected during his extensive travels. The first of eighty wedding anniversaries we shared it became my keepsake cupboard.
We kept this clockwork carriage clock ticking since our second Christmas together in Norway. Please keep it wound and working as a reminder of our love together, our love for you and the true love I know to be waiting out there for you.
On our tenth wedding anniversary in Prague we watched this mirror being made by a local artisan. We were struck at how it matched our Norwegian clock and so we had to give it a home. It reminds me of the gothic architecture and cultural delights we experienced in Prague.
I’ve left you two wedding souvenirs that remind me of that perfect day: My handmade lace wedding veil made in the Cypriot Troodos Mountains, inherited from my Greek Grandmother who also taught me to make the bread you adore; and a set of jewellery that my late sister made for me to take on our honeymoon in South Africa. I wore this set every day and so it reminds me of panoramic sunsets, elephant families and welcoming tribal people.   
The black rug holds many dear memories of picnics in our local woods and laughter filled days at the beach. Anna-Beth you were part of many of these latter picnic rug memories, I hope you’ll enjoy making new memories using it.
The scrapbook was handmade by me from wall paper offcuts from our first home. It contains decade’s worth of good times remembered in photographs, letters and postcards.
Great Uncle Wilfred and I had a blessed life full of love and laughter. In our last years you became the daughter we never had, filling our lives with even more light and joy. In addition we’ve bequeathed you our house and surrounding land but this cupboard and its contents are the most precious part of your inheritance. May they remind you of the joy and power of love and friendship. May it encourage you to fully engage in each moment, explore and discover life to the full. May it remind you that we love you and that love never dies.

Your Great-Aunt
   Doris


  • Fun creative prompt: If you inherited a cupboard what would you like to discover inside of it? 

On the right hand column of my blog you'll find links to all of the members of the Magical Journal Journey. If you visit you're bound to enjoy their immense talent and varied styles.

Wishing you all a Happy & Creative Weekend
Kat X


Share |


WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Oh This is fantastic. All of the craftsmanship and work you put into this~ Wow! Love it!!! Everyone wants a cupboard full of treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma - Thank you sweetpea :-) Just been visiting your blog and admiring your stunning pages in Priti Lisa's journal. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Kat - I thought you had reached perfection in Kim's journal but you've outdone yourself again! This is just wonderful - the story brings the whole thing alive - I have Doris and Anna Beth in the room with me peering over my shoulder at the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - a belated thank you for your super lovely comment:-) I'm glad your imagination was caught by Doris and Anna Beth's story. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. Oh Kat this is marvelous! What a wonderful treasure chest and heartwarming story. I love all of the attention to detail and how you brought the characters to life. Such a sweet sweet work of art. I cannot wait to see it in person. Yes, I do love birds and skeleton keys and wonderful pieces with a history. Love love love this! Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - a belated thank you for you your kind comments. I am soooo glad you like it :-) I enjoyed creating in your journal & I hope you enjoy your journal as much as I think you will. I can't believe we will have our own journals returning soon after having gone full circle!! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  4. You, Kat have the best imagination~ever! Everything about this cupboard, (beginning with the handmade wallpaper) is fantastic! I love doors and windows and treasures and hidden artifacts. The letter is what really puts everything over the top, NOTHING beats a great story with a moral at the end. So well done Kat!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you sweetie :-) You have given me the best compliment ever by saying I have the best imagination :-)) Thank you for your kind supportive words. Glad you enjoyed. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  5. Kat, I love how you take me away into your creative world. Your cupboard is so amazing. While I was there admiring all the hidden windows and treasures, I think there might have been some magical tea cups in there as well! From beginning to end.. Perfect!
    XO
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - thank you :-) I love that you got involved with the story & imagined up some magical tea cups - what a fab idea!! You have me making up new parts to the story now. I love the way we can share within our imaginations, its fab fun :-) Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Missy - a belated thank you for your lovely comment :-) Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  7. I finally made it by to look at your incredible creation- I LOVE your idea and the way each door offers a peek into her (beautiful) story. Such an incredible spread of pages and SO VERY perfect for Tammy! I only wish I were going to see it in person....
    xx
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - thank you sweetpea for your lovely comment :-) Glad you liked. I know what you mean about wanting to see things in person. If one of us became a lottery winner we could all meet in a hotel somewhere lovely and bring our finished journals with us. How cool would that be?! Kat xx

      Delete
  8. What fun! You did a wonderful job on this and despite your reservations on your abilities, I think it turned out beautifully!

    You are always so imaginative and creative and I love how all of your creations are based on stories.

    Hope you're feeling well! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you sweetie for your super kind comment :-) Re my creations being based on stories....I think I see a story in most things and I love to combine art with story as it seems to add another dimension....like an extra media to the mixed media label :-) Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  9. Er - wow!! What a fabulous idea and how well you've executed it (I can't measure to save my life, am so impressed at what a great job you've done, and all hand cut!) Love all the details and precious things you've included, it's a proper treasure trove. All the different vintage style papers and those stamps are perfect for this piece, so pretty! x
    PS If I inherited a cupboard I'd be disappointed not to find Narnia inside ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie - LOL - yes, all cupboards & wardrobes should hold Narnia or a version of your own making. Thank you for your lovely comment :-) Hugs, Kat xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...