Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Woodland Fantasy - IA Woodland Challenge



This week's Inspiration Avenue challenge is Woodland. The challenge is set by my friend Maggie  who has constructed a beautiful Woodland challenge post full of inspiration. I am a complete beginner when it comes to any digital art so hopefully you'll forgive the simplicity but it does say what I want it to at least. 

The photos were all taken on our first ever family holiday to France back in March this year. The location is the stunning Chateau de Pierrefonds whose beauty and magic persuaded the BBC to film the fantastic multiple seasons of Merlin. Our family are all the biggest fans of Merlin and were lost when the story ended. So when we decided to visit Paris we all agreed we had to visit the nearby location of Camelot, the real life Pierrefonds.


The town that lies in the shadow of the fairytale chateau and magical woodland is are what dreams are made of.  The following is one of many fabulous views from the chateau walls:

I couldn't believe real people were lucky enough to live there! So, two things I highly recommend: watch all of the BBC Merlin series (all available on DVD boxset and visit Pierrefonds in France. 

In other woodland related items...down at the bottom of our tree filled garden......

My children made a home for the hedgehogs who in the UK are being threatened with extinction. My kids watched a wildlife programme on Sunday morning & upset by the plight of the hedgehogs they spent three hours in pouring rain making the local hedgehogs their own house. You can't see it in the photo but there's a lot of attention to detail, or so they told me, in ways like the positioning of the house, the layers of mud, the choice of bedding material........oh and don't forget the flower decor to welcome them that can't be seen very well from this angle :-) They were very wet and muddy by the end but so happy and proud to show us, especially as they'd done it all by themselves. I think it represents a form of art and when I saw Maggie's challenge my son took a rainy photo so that they could also enter this week's IA challenge :-)
This is turning out to be a very long post. Only one last thing to share: at the beginning of September when the children were back at school I set myself the challenge of at least two hours of writing every weekday morning. So far I've achieved this and a little more. I'm not too proud yet because what I've written hasn't always been very good BUT I'm continuing in the faith that practice and routine will help strengthen my stiff writing muscles. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • What art has nature inspired you to create this month? 
  • How do the seasons and your scenery affect your creative output?
Please do visit the Inspiration Avenue Team blog and see what other people have created with the woodland theme. Hope you feel inspired to join in too.

Wishing you all a happy & creative week!

Kat :-) xx

















Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Your piece is lovely and that town is beautiful, that castle, stunning. Sad to here about the hedgehogs, but your kids are great and they built a lovely home for them. And kudos to you for setting aside that time to write and sticking with it, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy - thank you sweetie :-) You inspire me to keep writing! Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous place to visit! Would have been such fun to explore the castle! Great digital image for Woodland - and great message as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverley - it was definitely a visit to remember & somewhere I'd love to revisit. Happy memories. Thank you for your lovely comment. Kat :-)

      Delete
  3. Kat, amazing post, and I am going to go back and reread more slowly but I wanted to comment right away! First of all, I'm in love with the fabulous Hedgehog House your children made!! It looks so homey and welcoming and I think any hedgehog would be so grateful to have it as a home :) If a hedgehog doesn't wander by, I think it will be taken up by fairies, it also looks like a perfect fairy house!

    I love your digital collage of the many gorgeous photos of your trip to France. It's hard to find words for the beauty of that castle! OMG, a coincidence, I am reading about King Arthur right now. It's so amazing that a story so old has survived this long... I'm sure the story must be true. I'm going to look for the BBC series about Merlin. There must be a way to get it in the US.

    Good for you for writing everyday! Keep up the good work! You inspire me to try to paint everyday, which I sadly do not do right now.

    Have a great weekend!
    xoxo
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you sweetie for your lovely comment :-) I love the idea that if the hedgehogs don't pass by then the fairies may make it their home. There's a story in that..... I'm pretty sure that many of the BBCs big series get shown in the US at some point - hope you find it. It basically imagines what Arthur and Merlin may have been like if they'd met when they were young. Its funny and each series gets more involved and better. Yes, I like it, lol :-) It is amazing how many ways the King Arthur tales have been realised and enjoyed for so long. What are you reading at the moment?
      Thanks for your lovely supportive comment. Just what I needed today :-)
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  4. What a place, surely magical...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a place, surely magical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ritva - it really did feel magical indeed :-) Kat

      Delete
  6. lovely.....I love woodlands, and collage, and the fantasy element of castles appeals to me. Glad to find you on IA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely.....I love woodlands, and collage, and the fantasy element of castles appeals to me. Glad to find you on IA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3rseduc/handsinthesoil - thank you for stopping by my blog :-) Yes, I find woodlands are a playground for the imagination & this castle was ready made fairytale as it was. Kat :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...