Wednesday, 12 March 2014

MJJ14 - Creating With Friends!




This March brings the start of a new Magical Journal Journey for 2014. I'm a bit late sharing pictures and it has been far too long since I last posted. I shan't bore you with my reoccurring reasons for struggling. Instead I wish to celebrate the beginning of this new collaboration. This year we have all chosen a favourite artist to inspire our journalling. My chosen artist is Jennifer Judd McGee. My daughter recently introduced her to me and I loved her work.  I also felt her style tied in with some of my own ideas, yet would challenge me greatly.

We are collaborating on our book covers for the first time this year so that we should all end up with front and back covers as a collage of everyones art.  I decided to repurpose an old Scooby-do annual to make the journal covers. I covered the annual's covers in countless layers of Gesso and glue.....


....and then painted/collaged a portion on the front. On the back I left a little of the original cover showing:



On the inside of the front cover I created a drawing that opens up to reveal a type of sign in page that allows each artist to create in a square. When this is finished I imagine it will resemble another piece of collaborative art. I've also included the black and white drawing that preceded the final piece:





The following are from the first two pages and introduction/letter. I have used printed minatures of my art to create a collage tree and do the windows of the house.....



Please do visit the other MJJ ladies,........the links to their respective blogs are on the right. Next I am lucky to work in Lisa DiNunzio (priti.lisa) journal. Her chosen artist is Modigliani and you can see the beginnings of her journal on her blog here. I have to admit I'm quite nervous about attempting to paint portraits. I've never drawn/painted people and I have visions of nursery standard paintings spoiling Lisa's journal. But I shall try my best and hopefully if I approach it with a bit of 'me' and lots of love it will mean something nice to her at least. Or provide her with something permanent to make her laugh when ever she's feeling down ;-) Either way it will be unique, lol :-)

Wishing you all a Happy and Creative week!
Kat :-) X

WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Oh this is SO NEAT!!! I love that you used an old Scooby book to repurpose and that you left part of the original cover as part of your design....I LOVE it! I'm not familiar with this artist, but I'm excited to learn about her...oh this is going to be an AMAZING year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Stephanie :-) My pictures may not be giving you much of an idea about her art work but hopefully when you look up her up you'll see a little of what I tried to do :-) Yes, another wonderful journey begins! Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. OH KAT! these are wonderful pages! And you ALWAYS come up with the most creative designs for you book format...this will be exciting for me to see, as it will be in my hands last. That mandala tree is screaming Kat! I just love the whole entire happy feeling I am having just looking at these now...I hope Spring-time, with its magic will help you feel better than ever! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priti.Lisa - thank you sweetie :-) And I can never get a better compliment than my art encouraging happy feelings - thank you :-) Yes, Spring has started, foggy start today but then a beautiful sunny afternoon filled me with joy especially when I see the snowdrops and daffodils popping up. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  3. I've got these pages in my hands right now. They are so beautiful - I just keep looking at them over and over!! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa (WrightStuff) - Thank you sweetpea - I can't wait to see what you create in my journal cause I know it will be great :-) Hugs, xx

      Delete
  4. Kat, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love everything, from the book design to the way you left a part of the original cover showing, to your incredible illustration! The black and white version could stand alone, but the colors you've added make it supreme!!! Had to go back and look at JJM's art for the 2nd time, and you have really done an amazing job with her style :-D

    (LOL, I just noticed our collaboration is MJJ and your artist is JJM.)

    I hope you are feeling better! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you for your super lovely comment :-) I was worried that I hadn't done very well with the colour, so thanks for thinking otherwise & giving me encouragement. I think that my style has similarities with JJMs which helps in the sense of doodling, collaging & imaginative stuff but she is amazing & I need lots more practice. I do love drawing with my black pitt artist pens but want to be oh so much better....I need to practice more. Love that JJM is MJJ backwards - good noticing!!
      I also would like to email JJM but am scared of what she may make of my efforts. I'll pluck up the courage soon....
      Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and inspiring, Kat! Can't wait to see how it develops!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you :-) Its exciting to begin another journal journey. This one will stretch me I'm sure but despite a little nerves I know I will enjoy it.
      Thank you for the reply to my comments on your blog - it is great to keep in touch with you.
      Hugs
      Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this!!! Your book is fantastic. Love all of the possibilities you have presented. Yippeee going to be fun to make more art for you. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemma :-)! Glad you the style enthuses you with ideas & potential fun :-) I can't wait to see what you all create because I know it will all be gorgeous. Another journey has begun, yay :-)! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  7. Kat, sorry, I am late getting around here, but I have to agree with all of the above, I just love your illustration and the colors are so happy and cheerful! So creative and infused with your style all over it! Amazing and beautiful! You did a fantastic job! 💗💗💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - your comment may be late but it is lovely, thank you sweetpea :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...