Thursday, 5 June 2014

"The Difference a Flower Can Make" MJJ2014



Gemma's chosen artist for our Magical Journal Journey 2014 is Georgia O'Keefe , a prolific artist that inspired me to spend my time studying flowers and plants in fine detail. Georgia O'Keefe also enjoyed painting her surroundings at whichever locatioon she was at therefore above is my painted interpretation of the abundant Cornish grass topped granite cliffs. This is the photo I took of the local lanscape that provided the inspiration:


The photo of my painting doesn't seem to do it justice because it doesn't reproduce the colours and texture very well but it gives you an idea. Although I tried to paint this cliff side in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe I wasn't successful. Yet her influence is in there....you may just have to take my word for it ;-)

For the middle spread I used this photo of flowers in my garden as inspiration:

And this was my interpretation of the flowers (again not a great photo):

I kept in mind Georgia O'Keeffe's way of painting flowers large and in close up.

I spent many happy hours painting this spread which is around A3 in size but felt quite sad when I finished because it ended up so much less than I imagined. However, a few kind friends gave me a telling off about being too self-critical and I reminded myself that the process had been full of joy which was what mattered most. With that in mind I started to look upon the painting with kinder eyes. I hope Gemma will see the love that's gone into its creation.

On the final page I Painted a bright pink gerbera:


This then decorated a large pocket in which I put a short story (email me if you'd like a copy to read) in book form and tag:




I'm not sure that I've managed any of Georgia O'Keeffe's painting style but I was certainly inspired by her love of flowers and nature. Again, it stretched me out of my comfort zone encouraging me to practice new skills. Thank you Gemma: great choice of artist!

Oooh nearly forgot, we also had to contribute to the journal's inside cover art work:


I wrote the Georgia O'Keeffe quote: "I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty" along one of the swirly lines of paint someone had created and added decoration to the top right and middle right.

Hope you all have had a joy filled week that has inspired and stretched you in a positive way.

Kat :-)

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Kat, you did a beautiful job on the cliff side and your flowers are always inspiring!! I know your story is fabulous, because you are so amazingly multi-talented.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Kim, you are sweet, thank you :-) Hope you do enjoy the story. Kat xx

      Delete
  2. Wow! I LOVE this Kat. It is beautiful. Yes I see the love, the color, and your take on Georgia's style. You created beauty that can not be ignored. Have not read the story yet I am going to do that now. LOVE you <3 Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma - I'm really pleased you like...I struggled at times but hopefully Dorothea's story also helps to tie in the theme of Georgia O'Keeffe & indeed our own creative art filled journeys :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Kat,
    Your interpretation of Georgia O'Keefe's work is certainly felt. I love that you painted cliff side and I love the hydrangeas. They are in my garden, as well. I am off to read your story. I know it will be good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, thank you, I worried at times that Georgia's technical style was lost on me but I think I used her approach and ideas. I really enjoyed my days of painting & I got caught up in Dorothea's story. Thanks for your encouragement. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pages, wonderful story! I love the way you combine painting and writing into one amazing piece of art- your story is incredible and the art you created to go with perfect! Hydrangeas are one of my favorites as are Gerbera Daisies (actually, my daughter named her first cat Gerbera Dairy- HE wore it well ;)) and your Cornish cliff- so glorious! Beautiful work here!
    xx
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephanie you are really sweet, thank you for your super kind and encouraging comment :-) I make myself extra work with writing stories too but it seems to be a natural process often to have a story behind the art & I enjoy sharing that. My only worry is that the writing isn't always as polished as I'd like but hopefully the stories are translated well enough to appreciate the general idea.

      I love that your daughter named your male cat Gerbera-Daisy - he must be proudly in touch with his feminine side, lol ;-)!

      Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  5. Kat, these are wonderful! That first painting is so beautiful. It does remind me of some of Georgia O'Keefe's spring landscapes. So lovely!

    Those hydrangea flowers are amazing, what colors. No wonder you chose to paint them! I think your painting turned out beautifully! (And that gerbera!!). I'd love to read your story, too.

    I think the most important things we can learn from Georgia O'Keefe are: look closely at things and don't be afraid to do things your own way.

    Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

    Sending big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you for your lovely encouraging comment :-) I so enjoyed focusing on the flowers and nature in detail. I can see why you love painting flowers/plants - it is quite absorbing & therapeutic. I shall email you the story in a moment. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  6. Kat...your essence, your respect and your talent all shine through! I had a hard time with Georgia too...but, I see you found what her message is...taking time to SEE...you are a beautiful, talented woman Kat...I send you love, hugs {and kisses on your cheeks}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priti.Lisa your comment is so lovely, just like you, thank you. Its funny because I didn't think I would have a problem with Georgia but then when I came to it I did. Yet, by the end I feel like I've learnt new things about myself & my creativity. Sending you big hugs back & a little Cornish sea air and Celtic magic too :-) Kat xx

      Delete
  7. I can see the essence of you AND Georgia in your landscape as well as the flower close-ups. I read your story and I can see that the hydrangea blooms are the ones in the story's painting! Beautiful, with their luminescent veins. Hydrangeas are amazing! Great job on Georgia O'Keeffe...she was extremely difficult for me, Gemma's was the first journal I had, but I think she would be difficult anyway (I thought she would be easier also :-) , but no) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie for your kind comment :-) I have to admit I imagined the painting in the story to be hundred times better than mine....kinda like what I'd love it to be. But its true that the inspiration came from painting these hydangeas. Kat xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...