Monday, 18 August 2014

Inspired by Anahata Katkin.....




Kim chose Anahata Katkin as her chosen artist for this year's Magical Journal Journey. Kim's journal was already full of gorgeous art and after sitting with her for the past couple of weeks I have fallen in love with Anahata's work. In the above painting I borrowed her way of using black and white areas in her paintings, of having flowers in ladies hair and tattoo type markings on their faces. Other than that I just went where my imagination led me. This double spread was a labour of love and much time that I found really therapeutic. I named her 'Anatola' and wrote about her (more of that later).

Below: the painting on this page was inspired by Anahata's painting "ROOTS":


Anahata Katkin has a series of paintings on rolls of wall paper and so in keeping with this idea, I painted and collaged on to wallpaper for the last page:

The large heart is actually the cover of a little book which tells the story of Anatola whose name is the feminine version of Anatolius that means sunrise in Latin. As my lady helps to wake the world at sunrise I thought this an appropriate name :-) It also struck me as similar to Anahata which was a happy coincidence. If you want to read more about her, I'm happy to email her story to you. Just ask.

Now this last piece is actually the back inside cover. It was still blank when I received it and so I painted and collaged on it. The paint affect is nicer in real life but alas was difficut to capture on camera/scanner. As we are collaborating on our covers, someone else can now add to this.

Yet again I've been stretched artistically, helped further my skills and added to my experience. It is a really fun way to enjoy and develop our creativity.

Amongst the busy summer, this art journaling is a havan amongst the chaos. Another example of me keeping 'Creatively Well'. Thanks Kim for choosing such a fun artist to inspire your journal.

Wishing you all a Happy and Creative week!
Kat :-) x

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

15 comments:

  1. I bet Kim's book is awesome. Love your additions. Each one is so unique. I agree, working in, and honoring, these various artists is a highlight every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma - sorry for the delayed reply...thank you for your lovely comment. It is definitely an inspiring journey :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  2. Kat, I am really lost for words for the time and beautiful detail that you have spent creating on my pages. Each one is really beautiful and so perfect in keeping with Anahata. It woudn't be complete coming from you without the fabulously creative stories that you add to the art work. So from the center of my heart, I thank you for such magnificence in my journal.
    I would say, yes, email me that story! But I will wait for the completed surprise at the end! Love and Hugs! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - so sorry I haven't replied sooner...I am so happy you like the pages I've created for you :-)! I really enjoyed working in your AK journal. Your story is more like a long poem but I hope you'll like it cause it sets the scene for the pictures I've painted.
      Hugs
      Kat xx

      Delete
  3. hey! your nice blog please come my site
    http://www.viewindia.co.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Anahata fun and awesome? I love what you've done with these pages especially the painting on wallpaper. I didn't realize she did a series on that...I will check it out. I'm so far behind on blog visits and checking in with facebook...trying to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - yes she was a great artist to study & create in the style of :-) Thank you for your lovely comment. Yes, I think she does workshops where they paint on long lengths of wallpaper and you can see them on her website. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love these pages, Kat. The colors you chose. The intricacies (her hair is so much fun). And those roots. Love that idea! Wonderful job! So fun to see you stretch yourself.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - aw thank you sweetpea for your lovely supportive comment. The Roots painting is taken from one of AKs own & recreated/reinterpreted differently by me. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  6. Love, love, LOVE these paintings! I especially loved the way you incorporated so many layers into her hair- the village, the swimming fishes; everything is so beautiful and so perfectly Anahata, and so perfect for Kim. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - I have only just read your comment as it seemed to have been hidden by Blogger's unexplainable filters. Thank you for your lovely kind words & enthusiasm. I really enjoyed creating these & it is great to think you enjoyed my efforts too :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  7. Dear Kat,
    you and i appear to be the "research-aholics"
    I love to look at all of their artworks and
    and then their lives...and maybe check if there is a book written
    by or about them...

    LIFE! is to be celebrated
    and in that, you, dear kat
    are a teacher (to me)
    YOU
    are of the earth
    and i will learn from you.

    of your own "you-ness" and create the most perfect
    YOU {Kat} ART

    I am a copier. mimicker,
    but you {kitty-kat} are true.
    you are a blessing
    in my life.
    ♥ ♥ ♥
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priti.lisa - I can't believe this comment was hidden from me for so long by the unfathomable blogger filters. Your words are so lovely, kind and make me choke up a little. Thanks for seeing me in a positive kind way; something I usually fail to do for myself. I am so lucky that you invited me to be part of our group & saying yes was one of the best decisions I've made. Art & soul sisters. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  8. Dearest Kat, how is it that I missed this post? So sorry for that! Your work in kim's journal is so imaginitive, something you know I admire about you...you have a way of grabbing inspiration from other's and twisting it in to a ball of 'Kat-Love'
    i hope you are getting time for yourself
    give yourself a big hug from me!
    ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priti.Lisa - and another comment Blogger filtered away into a cyber box in the dark corners of blogger land, lol :-) Thank you for this super lovely comment too; you really are a sweetie. Hugs back to you too, Kat xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...