Monday, 15 September 2014

Inspired by Duy Huynh (MJJ)....


The penultimate journal in this years Magical Journal Journey belongs to Tammy who chose Duy Huynh (pronounced yee wun) as her artist to be inspired by. I fell in love with Duy Huynh. I'd encourage you to view his paintings. They're full of imagination, fantasy, symbolism and layered meanings but even if you could ignore all those his art is just fascinatingly beautiful. So, probably more than any artist so far I would've loved to successfully emulate his skill and style. However, despite having the vivid imagination needed I lacked the art skills. I had fun trying though :-)

The painting above and the double spread below are my imagination trying to express itself. I also took on board Duy Huynh's use of travel, boats, music and artists in his work.


Below I've copied the back page where I wrote about the first painting and created a poem to explain my thoughts about the second.

In this swap we have each been contributing to the covers of the journals. However, very little had been done to these covers so I was unsure whether I was meant to or not. In the end I decided a boat that told a little about Duy Huynh and his life may look nice on the front cover. I hope I did the right thing & Tammy likes it. She has my permission to paint over it if she doesn't.


I spent many many hours painting and repainting whilst living in my imagination. Duy Huynh is so suited to my character but I've a long way to go before I can do my imagination justice through painting. Oh to close the gap between idea and finished piece...... But like all creative skills the only way to improve and develop is to keep showing up and having a go. Meanwhile I keep myself creatively well!

Wishing you all a Happy and Creative week!
Kat :-) xx

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I never heard of him, his paintings are wonderful, and you drew great inspiration from them. I love that boat on the cover and how the girl is taking down the music note and the writing is lovely, and a sea of letters, wonderful. also, I forgot to comment on your previous post, but I love the work you did there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy - a belated thank you very muchly for your lovely comment. Its fun to be introduced to a new artist, isn't it. I hope you're managing to find time for your art & writing & that you are enjoying mothering your gorgeous babes. Hugs, Kat Xx

      Delete
  2. Aw Kat I love the cover. I am not sure why no one has done much to it. I thought the first 4 added to the front and the last 4 to the back. I love that you added a boat with a stack of books and a bright shiny moon to light up the sea of letters. Everything is so you. Whimsical and well thought out. I have a lot in my head that I cannot translate to paper and it is frustrating at times but I too prevail. Love the musical notes being hung and the iron and the rhythm (cannot remember what that is called).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - I did read your lovely comment a few days ago & was glad you liked. I am very happy you introduced DH - he is now one of my favourite artists. I really enjoyed my time with him & it felt good to be stretched. Hugs xx

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love your pages Kat! Not sure which came first, the paintings or the story, but you didn't need the light to lead you , your imagination sure guided you with Duy Huynh! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - I did read your lovely comment a few days ago & was glad you liked. I am very happy you introduced DH - he is now one of my favourite artists. I really enjoyed my time with him & it felt good to be stretched. Hugs xx

      Delete
  4. I love diving into your imagination with these pieces Kat. What fun it would be to sail with you! I'm excited about starting on this artist and you have inspired me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thanks sweetie, you'd be welcome to sail with me any time :-) Hope you're enjoying Duy Huynh as much as I did. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  5. I love your imagination and how you express it! Love that stack of books. Of course if one went off in a small boat at night one would need a tall stack of books! And a lantern to read by, and hopefully a full moon!! I haven't read the story yet, but will do. The back cover is great too. Duy Huynh uses boats quite often, and other symbols that you've also used. I can't remember if I added to one of the covers or not (?). I do know that I got confused in some of the books as to what was a cover, with them being unbound and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie :-) Yes, books should always be a priority for taking on a trip/journey. Lets face it one kindle would not have encouraged any excitement....although my boat may have been in less danger of capsising , lol :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  6. I love your boat with the tower of books - I think I'd be very happy sailing around in that for a while! My favourite is the cover painting though - the colours are gorgeous especially the different tones in the sky, and I adore your little boat of dreams! Hope you're well and happy :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie - I think you'd be happy & would be welcome to join me on my travels. After all, I have plenty of books to share :-) Still missing you on this year's swap but at the same time you still feel very much part of our travels! Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  7. Hi, Kat! I can't believe I've missed so many of your posts. :( But I'm glad to finally be catching up.

    I ADORE that first painting of the girl in the boat with all those books. So wonderful.

    What fun that you fell in love with a new artist and were so inspired. Your fearlessness in creating is always so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw thank you Anne. I often have to have a mass catch up when I've been awol for some reason too :-) Duy Huynh has to be one of my favourite artists now. Great to be introduced to new art. I'm not sure I can claim fearlessness in my creating but I do try to overcome the fear and go for it anyway, lol :-)
    Have a fab weekend!
    Hugs
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...