Friday, 17 October 2014

Inspired by Henri Matisse (MJJ2014)


The last journal in this year's Magical Journal Journey swap belongs to Lisa Wright who chose Henri Matisse as her inspiration. As you can probably tell, I struggled to capture Matisse's style. However, I did relate to and enjoy his love & bold use of colour, pattern and the idea that one could throw the rule book out the window. Matisse also went through a period of time where he used paper cut outs to create art. Above is my version of this. I spent time painting and creating pattern on one piece of canvas paper. Then on another I blended greens and metallics to create a background. With a sci-fi fantasy story in my head whilst I did all these pages, I cut out shapes and glued them into an arrangement that pleased me. I do think it has a sci-fi fantasy feel to it. 

Matisse often used unexpected colours in his landscapes and portraits, choosing not to conform to the expected colours of nature. This gave me a story idea that included travel to parallel worlds, one of which had a very different coloured sun and subsequently an alternative natural colour pallette.


Having studied Matisse's landscape paintings I tried to emulate his use of large bold brush strokes of colour. The result was far from resembling his style but the inspiration encouraged me to try to work in a different way. It is good to stretch myself and try different ways of painting.

The next painting was inspired by a couple of Matisses's painting of women in hats and his love of the feminine form. Once again I attempted to recreate bold use of colour and brush strokes. I attempted to use alternative colours in my shading of her skin in a similar to the way he did. It was a lot harder than it looked. Unfortunately the proportions of this girls face went wrong but I decided not to assign this painting to the bin; there was something I was pleased with in the use of colour in this.


This lady doesn't feature in my story but the characters in my fictional world do have a faint violet tinge to their skin, hair and eyes caused by their exposure to the very different sun, in a similar way to this lady's own blue shading. As always, if you'd like to read the story just send me an email and I can send you a copy to read.

During this swap we have all been collaborating on the journal covers. I decorated the back inside cover with this use of bright colour and example of pattern.

 So another Magical Journal Journey comes to an end. I have just received my journal back from its travels. It is absolutely gorgeous and I completely adore every page that has been created for me. I shall share my journal with you in a blog post coming soon.

I feel so lucky that as a group we have all grown close as friends. The bond we have all formed is special in a way that we couldn't have predicted three years ago, even though we were already online friends. The connections we make with some people in our lives have a profound and powerful effect on us. For me, life is about the connections we have with the other people who share our journey through life. The fun thing is that we never know when, how and who we'll meet.


  • Who has inspired you recently? 
  • What connections have you made that have altered your creative life?

Wishing you a happy, inspiring & creative weekend!
Kat :-) x

Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Katina, I remember meeting you on IA. Right from the start I felt drawn to you. So very glad we have been able to share art and have this connection. These pieces here are the bomb! LOVE these diverse colors. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma -thank you so much for your lovely words. IA has been the starting point for a quite a few wonderful connections :-) Hugs, Kat x

      Delete
  2. I Agee with all you said, so true and heartfelt . Your pages are perfectly Katmatisse! I love the all. You always create magic! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Kim. Katmatisse made me laugh :-) You always write such kind comments. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  3. Your pages are gorgeous and oh so very Matisse-ish! i love the girl with the violet eyes and the blue landscape- your cover idea was brilliant! I can't believe that our journal journey is over (for now ;-)) A little sad, but I know I'll feel better once we start talking about the next sweet journey!
    xx
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - thank you :-) Oh yes, we are indeed already planning our next journey. Its been a pleasure to share this journey with you. Kat xx

      Delete
  4. Kat, you've captured Matisse's love of bold, bright color. I love the violet-tinged landscape you created as well as the cheeky Matisse-lady. The story you wrote is, as usual, fabulous! It really left me hanging on wanting to hear more!! I must know what happened with Helen and Rayx! I hope we get to see the rest of the story. However, I can see a long novel here, so I imagine it would take some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - thank you sweet pea :-) Your comments do my confidence good & your enthusiasm for my little stories always inspires me to write more. Thank you so much for this & for being generally fab :-) Kat xx

      Delete
  5. where to start Kat? as always, you have so many gems to share...the lady in the hat? i LOVE her!!!
    makes me want to paint my own...and then...the blue sun! and the magical hue that comes from it...you are gifted in writing and your imagination astounds me each time.
    as you know, i ADORE you
    and look forward to what lies ahead for all of us,
    individually
    and as a coven of women friends.
    Love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you so much sweetie. Your words make me feel loved & confident even when I'm not sure I've done that great. It means a lot to be a part of our group & to call you my friend. Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  6. What fun, Kat! I'm so glad that you were able to stretch yourself and find inspiration in a different sort of way. I love that there is so much inspiration in the world and it's wonderful to see what direction people take their creating.

    The cut paper piece at the top is so lovely. And your portrait.... she is wonderful.

    Thank you for sharing all of your creativity, Kat.

    Big hugs! Have a wonderful, creative week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - thank you for your lovely comment. Yes, so many good experiences have come from sharing and making connections through creativity. Very exciting & inspiring. Have a fab weekend my friend :-) Hugs, Kat x

      Delete
  7. Kat, I'm so glad you shared your Matisse inspirations! I love them all. The first one, in the style of his cut outs, is terrific. The use of green and red, complementary colors I think, seems rich with movement. The lavender tinged sea calls for a uniquely tinted mermaid I think! And I love your lady with the unusual face. The expression is very unique and the colors are spectacular. I'm so glad you joined our challenge this week! And I'm glad you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou Anne - thank you :-) Oooh I love the idea of a uniquely tinted mermaid for my seascape picture. That would be a whole other story I'd be inspired to write too :-)
      Kat :-)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Karla :-) And thanks for paying my blog a visit too!
      Kat :-)

      Delete
  9. I
    LOVE
    MATISSE!!!!!!!!!
    Great art here to honor him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Peggy! I would like to have honoured him with a little more skill but maybe just capturing elements and having a go is enough. Kat :-)

      Delete
  10. what a creative collection of art Kat!! I'm so glad you didn't put your wonderful lady portrait in the bin! Your Matisse paintings are just beautiful too. Oh, and I actually see a Japanese influence in the first composition:) Thanks for sharing-and thanks for popping by my blog too. So nice to connect with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - thank you for your lovely comment & stopping by my blog. I think the lady in the hat has grown on me, kind of grown to like her squiffy quirky nature ;-) Kat :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...