Sunday, 16 August 2015

Painting a Beach Scene & then Distressing/ageing it......MJJ2015


This past week I've been working on a painting for Kim as part of our Magical Journal Journey 2015 art project. Kim asked us to be inspired by the beach & add a distressed or vintage feel to our artwork. The following shows how I went about creating my finished piece as shown above:

1. An old blog post of Ashley Hackshaw aka Lili Blue Boo once suggested decoupaging layers of newspaper and medium that would provide an uneven creased effect that would help add a distressed look to a painting. The idea stuck with me as a useful tip and so I used a Cornish newspaper (to add to the beach/coastal feel) and PVA glue. I chose to use canvas textured paper mounted on mount board as a base so that it would withstand the glueing, layers and distressing process.



2. In the bottom right hand corner I added a layer of Golden coarse pumice medium to add texture to where I would be painting my sand.
3. When all my glue and medium had thoroughly dried I then painted my basic beach scene using acrylic paint.

 4. Then continued to paint in more detail & depth....

 5. I had a starfish silver tone charm that I wanted to add in the bottom right hand corner to add further dimension. Because the charm was very shiny I spent time dirtying it with paint until it looked older. Then my daughter said "it would be good if it could look as if it is partly buried in the sand". This gave me the idea to use more of the coarse pumice medium & PVA to blend the charm into the painting. When the pumice & glue had dried I then painted it to match the rest of the sandy beach.

 6. Finally, to age the painting I used a Tim Holtz tea stain ink pad. Using a bit of foam I lightly passed the ink over the surface so that it caught on the uneven creases and also added a little to the edges and corners.

Its difficult to see fully in the scan below but the overall effect was a bit like an aged photo that had perhaps been pocketed and creased a little.


I was quite pleased with the result. I've done similar with ink drawings and stamping projects but this was the first time I'd distressed an acrylic/mixed media painting. I hope Kim likes it. I certainly enjoyed creating this for her!

  • What technique have you tried for the first time or adapted to use with a different medium? What were the results like?
Wishing you all a Happy and Creative Week Ahead!
Kat :-)


Share |
WrightStory is also on Facebook and Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Kat
    This is great. Love the texture from the newspaper, the pumice medium and the starfish. Also think all of the aging techniques add a lot to the painting. I am sure Kim will love this too. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Kat - great ideas which I will have to try too!! I'm really not sure what I'm going to do for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I have just seen your finished beach hut & it is gorgeous :-) Kat xx

      Delete
  3. Kat, I LOVE IT! Thank you for showing the process, that makes it even more specialđź’– love all the techniques you used, the newspapers, the sand and the starfish ...all awesome! Thank you so much! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - I'm so glad you like it!! I hope you feel like you have a bit of Cornwall when you receive it. Thanks for the lovely comment :-) Hugs, Kat xx

      Delete
  4. This is so good Kat. The textures are great. I really like the starfish and sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Tammy for your lovely comment :-) Kat xx

      Delete
  5. What fun! I love that you shared your process. So creative and what a lovely finished piece!

    Wishing you a lovely, creative week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Wishing you a Happy & creative week too :-) Kat xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...